Problem with vmware iSCSI and freenas 8.0.1-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
we have a vSphere 4.1 server and a 8.0.1 RC2 freenas with an iSCSI target.
Yesterday i upgraded freenas to 8.0.1-RELEASE and now the iSCSI datastore is inacessible from vmware server.
In freenas log i see the vmware's login ( Login from iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:realvmware01-79f96185 (192.168.4.2) on iqn.2011-10.example.org.istgt:target LU1 (192.168.4.4:3260,1), ISID=23d000001, TSIH=1, CID=0, HeaderDigest=off, DataDigest=off)
but vmware cannot access the datastore. In vmkernel log i see: vmkernel: 21:10:10:11.141 cpu1:11601)WARNING: ScsiUid: 407: vmhba33:C0:T1:L0: NAA identifier type has an unknown naa value of 0x3

Before the upgrade iSCSI works but it was very very slow

T-Monster

Dabbler
This is disappointing.

I had the same problem on 8.0 (with VMware ESXi 4.1) - originally I was using NFS, then that "disappeared" (in ESXi it's just "disconnected"), so I changed to iSCSI (no CHAP authentication - ticket 859 looks about right, but we had a hell of a time getting things to talk)...

Once we were up & running, it all seemed to go ok.

Then, on sunny day, we shut down the FreeNAS & ESXi servers for some maintenance, then restarted them all... the iSCSI was "empty".

I removed the storage from ESXi, and re-added only to be asked if I wanted to re-initialise it all! Woa!

So... that's about 20 VMs gone. Lost.

Because of other things going on in the office at the moment we've been concentrating on other issues, so I've been holding out for 8.0.1 to see if it fixes the various problems we've noticed with 8.0... (FTP issues, some performance issues (might be my hardware though), as well as the NFS/iSCSI issues)

Seems like I'll be looking at OpenFiler soon... :(

I've got to admit though... if I had been better at noting what went wrong and reporting it all to the developers, that would've possibly helped (us all), but after doing a 15hour day, we just backed up the iSCSI extent and moved on to the next problem.

I'm hoping to get 8.0.1 on to one of our NAS servers next week, (with OpenFiler on the other one), and see what happens... if I notice any problems, I will *try* to report it in more detail.

Sorry this reply doesn't help you, but I'm hoping that a "me too" reply might add some weight to this issue. :)

I have "solved" the problem right now...
I have enabled and thne disabled the chap authentication on iSCSI and.............. all my vm in iSCSI reappears!!!

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm glad you solved it, thanks for the update. I've noticed a lot of people using ESXi have been having trouble with FreeNAS. I spent a good part of the day yesterday looking for clues and didn't find anything.

T-Monster

Dabbler
:) I'm glad I backed up my iSCSI extent...

Maybe I'll try toggling the CHAP auth again (next week) and see if that helps recover my setup too!

Thanks for the update. I will try to do the same :)

iSCSI and CIFS are very very very slow.....................................
Today i'll try 8.0.2.......

karloce

Cadet
iSCSI not working with vsphere5 with FREE NAS 8.0.2

iSCSI haven't worked for me so far with vsphere5 and FREE NAS 8.0.2 :(
I will try enabling CHAP now.

Status
Not open for further replies.