Problem reinstalling FreeNAS after a failed upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duel007

Dabbler
So I tried to upgrade to 9.3 from 9.2 via web GUI, and of course my box doesn't boot afterwards. I backed up my config but I'm having a lot of trouble getting it reinstalled on my flash drive.

The installer runs, and says it completes, but when the machine reboots it only shows a flashing cursor, and nothing else. All boot devices are disabled other than USB boot. The flash drive I'm using was the same 8GB one it worked with perfectly for 10 months. I also bought a new 16GB drive and I get the same results. I did try installing to a 2GB flash drive as a test, and it will boot all the way from that. I'm not sure why, especially since Freenas recommends at least an 8GB flash drive. Any ideas? Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What hardware are we talking about?

duel007

Dabbler
What hardware are we talking about?

Sorry, should have mentioned that earlier. It's an HP Z200 workstation machine, 8GB ECC memory, i5-680 processor. Smattering of 2tb and 1tb drives, but I have all of them disconnected right now in case it was one of them causing problems.

I should also add that the freshly installed USB disks will boot just fine on my desktop PC. So I'm really confused as to why they won't boot on the NAS box that previously was working just fine.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hate to break it to you, but you aren't actually using ECC at all with an i5 processor.

duel007

Dabbler
Hate to break it to you, but you aren't actually using ECC at all with an i5 processor.

I know, it came that way from the factory that way. The hardware was free, or I'd have built something that would fully support ECC.

Status
Not open for further replies.