Preview option for signatures

SimpleTechGuy

Dabbler
Hi, new to the forums here, just joined last night. Trying to get my profile setup and use the proper tags for a signature and was wondering if it's possible to have the Preview option available in the signature editor box the way it appears when you post a new thread in the forum? I wanted to add spoiler tags and check formatting before posting the signature. Wasn't sure if I'm missing something as a result of newbie probation or if this is by design. Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the forum and make suggestions.

Preview option in new forum post:
1645642561603.png

No preview option in Signature box:
1645642626535.png

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Hmm.. I am unsure but I would doubt that it would be something with user level (newness) which would disallow the preview in signature editor but checking for myself it is simply not available.
2022-02-23_1409-sig-edit.png

I don't recall any mention in the various XenForo settings for signature preview, but if there is such a thing I can enable it. Otherwise, I would suggest to use a post in the 'offtopic' area (that forum only as precaution) which you could edit a post while cancelling it before it is ultimately posted.

And.. by the way, thank you for your suggestion and notice about this. I was unaware there was a difference in how the editor handled things.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I've tried to discover how the preview 'button' is made to be visible as those available to any of the editors and so far I have not found anything that indicates it in an obvious way. If I were to find it, I could probably somehow hack the templates for one or two styles on here so that it would be possible to preview a signature. The obvious style I would modify is my own Ganz großes Kino which is in the example above, a majority greyscale style which may look somewhat different with its scaling on various sized viewports. I am not sure if I can figure out how to do this but I think it would be a really nice enhancement as I believe I've seen multiple re-edits of signatures in the local site logs.

artlessknave

Wizard
i just save the signature, and reload a page where i last posted something, and thats my preview...
having an actual preview would be nicer though.

SimpleTechGuy

Dabbler
@Tigersharke thanks for looking into this so quickly and for the suggestion to use the "offtopic" area. I actually experimented earlier in the "general" forum, didn't post or anything like that, but it does look like the forum software temporarily saves your content even if you don't post, not sure if this save is locally or on the server, but I will use the 'offtopic' forum for future testing just to be safe. :) I'm not a developer or anything, but if you need any help let me know.

@artlessknave I thought about doing that but wasn't sure if it would cause any problems somewhere. I've never used these ZenForo forums before but I've seen other forums that can be buggy in the signature for some reason. Glad to know that it hasn't caused any problems on your end.

mardel

Cadet
Hi, new to the forums here, just joined last night. Trying to get my profile setup and use the proper tags for a signature and was wondering if it's possible to have the Preview option available in the signature editor box the way it appears when you post a new thread in the forum? I wanted to add spoiler tags and check formatting before posting the signature. Wasn't sure if I'm missing something as a result of newbie probation or if this is by design. Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the forum and make suggestions.

Preview option in new forum post:
View attachment 53434

No preview option in Signature box:
View attachment 53435
I've just stumbled upon the same "problem" and ended up just using Preview feature in the New Forum Post. Feel like much better than saving signature and refreshing the page :) - not by much, but it is my obsession to optimize everything.