ports failing due to EOL jails in FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

anika200

Contributor
Just wanted to put this out there for discussion and correction if needed.

Having just built a brand new jail on FreeNAS 11 I find I can not build any software???
So after googling and wasting so much time I finally find a thread in here on the forums that explains the problem.
The error faced is thus

"Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release."

Is it a bug that needs filed?

the fix (work around) is to add "ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM=yes" without quotes to the file /etc/make.conf.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Jails created in 11.1 won't have this issue as it won't be EoL'd for some time. Once RELEASE is out (some time next week), you'll want to recreate your jails that you plan to update.

raidflex

Guru
So is iocage fully implemented at least in the new GUI so that we don't have to re-created jails AGAIN in the future?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I wouldn't get too worked up about re creating jails AGAIN. Every major release of FreeNAS that updates the base OS will require jails to be rebuilt if you want to stay current on updates. You will at some point have to re create jails AGAIN if you want to stay current when new versions are released.

raidflex

Guru
I wouldn't get too worked up about re creating jails AGAIN. Every major release of FreeNAS that updates the base OS will require jails to be rebuilt if you want to stay current on updates. You will at some point have to re create jails AGAIN if you want to stay current when new versions are released.

I thought one of the benefits of iocage was that it would not be necessary to rebuild them every time...

D

dlavigne

I thought one of the benefits of iocage was that it would not be necessary to rebuild them every time...

Base OS is a different thing as the ABI changes with each major version of FreeBSD.

anika200

Contributor
Jails created in 11.1 won't have this issue as it won't be EoL'd for some time. Once RELEASE is out (some time next week), you'll want to recreate your jails that you plan to update.
Update is quite nice :) I do not know what changed but my memory usage was cut by more than half, sweet. I only have to rebuild one jail so no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.