Plex wont update 13.0-U1

CH4Pz

Explorer
So after todays update to 13.0-U1 i was finally able to access my VM again, but ive run into another issue ! when trying to update plex with my usual method of "pkg update && pkg upgrade" it says it cant find repository. i think this was present before updating today though. i then tried stopping the plugin and jail and updating them from the gui, but it comes up with an error (too quick to read) and the GUI to truenas goes blank and says trying to connect (like when rebooting) then when it returns the plugin/jail is running again and i dont think it updated.

Could it be that the plugin is too old to find repository?

and, if i reinstall the plugin will i lose all my data (covers/plays/playlists etc)

i really have no idea what im doing so plz go gentle haha

CH4Pz

Explorer
oh an heres what it says when updating

Attachments

• frenas.jpg
    frenas.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 735

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Your plugin is still on FreeBSD 11, which is way end of life. From the host, try iocage upgrade -r 13.0-RELEASE plex to upgrade it to the latest release. After the upgrade completes, you can enter the plugin via iocage console plex to run pkg update and pkg upgrade.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

CH4Pz

Explorer
if i try "iocage upgrade -r 13.0-RELEASE plex" i get this error

... iocage pkg plex upgrade, gets a similar error as original upgrade method

Attachments

• frenas.jpg
    frenas.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 771

Samuel Tai

What's the name of your plugin? Try iocage list.

CH4Pz

Explorer
Just plex, it is the plexpass/beta version though

Attachments

• frenas.jpg
    frenas.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 412

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would really consider just making a new jail (name it plx to avoid doubling on plex as a shortcut seems later versions of iocage don't have that problem any longer... call it what you want) and transfer over (or better still just mount in your config/db and media).

Chasing upgrades takes hours and making a new jail should be as quick as 10-20 minutes.

Samuel Tai

OK, you'll need to rename the plugin to match the Github repo. Try iocage rename plex plexmediaserver. Then try the upgrade above, but with the new name.

CH4Pz

Explorer
I would really consider just making a new jail (name it plx to avoid doubling on plex as a shortcut) and transfer over (or better still just mount in your config/db and media).

Chasing upgrades takes hours and making a new jail should be as quick as 10-20 minutes.
Will i lose all my plex data though?

CH4Pz

Explorer
OK, you'll need to rename the plugin to match the Github repo. Try iocage rename plex plexmediaserver. Then try the upgrade above, but with the new name.
changed it to plexmediaserver, but still doesnt update, i also tried "iocage pkg plexmediaserver upgrade" but just says not found

Samuel Tai

Ah, looking at the plexmediaserver plugin git, it expects 12.2-RELEASE. Try that release with the upgrade command instead of 13.0-RELEASE.

CH4Pz

Explorer
Ah, looking at the plexmediaserver plugin git, it expects 12.2-RELEASE. Try that release with the upgrade command instead of 13.0-RELEASE.
So i tried iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE plex , then i tried iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE plexmediaserver then changed the name back to plex and tried the first one again, which had the biggest response, but it was similar to before saying error file doesnt exist in that location, but i did notice at the top, it said this (see pic), indicating perhaps a mismatch
i think i might just remake it as sretalla suggested, do you know of a way i can transfer my data from current jail into the new one

Attachments

• frenas.jpg
    frenas.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 683

Samuel Tai

do you know of a way i can transfer my data from current jail into the new one

How are you making media available to Plex? Are you using a jail mount to mount your media dataset from outside the jail? Or did you put everything physically within a directory underneath iocage's path?

As for metadata, I've never been able to transfer that successfully, and have had to recreate every time by reimporting my media.

CH4Pz

Explorer
How are you making media available to Plex? Are you using a jail mount to mount your media dataset from outside the jail? Or did you put everything physically within a directory underneath iocage's path?

As for metadata, I've never been able to transfer that successfully, and have had to recreate every time by reimporting my media.
yep, so i have mounts to various folders on my Truenas main storage.

im just trying to create a new plugin now and its saying cant find "release 13.0-RELEASE missing will attempt to fetch it" but its been on that last 10 minutes. I appreciate your help man, but i really regret upgrading to 13, as it seems it needs more time in the oven, i just seen stable in the title and thought should be good.

Plex is still running atm, i just cant upgrade it, so might just watch for future updates, and do a bit more digging

Thanks again Samuel

Samuel Tai

You could always create a generic jail, and run @danb35's Plex install script, and not depend on the official plugin anymore. Most prefer his script, as it tends to keep Plex more up-to-date than the official plugin.

CH4Pz

Explorer
You could always create a generic jail, and run @danb35's Plex install script, and not depend on the official plugin anymore. Most prefer his script, as it tends to keep Plex more up-to-date than the official plugin.
I definitely like the idea of meta being outside the jail, i just dont even know how to "run a script" haha, will have to dig a bit more online, cheers

ThreeDee

Guru
I did a manual install and then have my Plex Media Server folder mounted outside my plex jail which makes for easy reinstall if my Plex jail ever goes belly up (of which it did a couple times from my screw up(s)

Manual install of Plex if you want .. super easy .. I have it installed in a 13.1-RELEASE jail

from my setup:
Source:
/mnt/BackUPS/BackUPS/Apps/Plex
Destination:
/mnt/ThreeD-JAILZ/iocage/jails/3DPLEX/root/usr/local/plexdata-plexpass/Plex Media Server

in a nutshell .. stop your Plex jail .. then you create a folder on whatever drive you want .. cut the contents from (or copy then delete the source contents .. the folder has to be empty to create a mount point there) your Plex Media Server folder and paste in the folder you created .. then create your mount point and start the jail

I use the PMS_Updater.sh script to keep my Plex-Pass install up to date .. you can download the latest update when it pops up and update right away if you have to have the latest greatest the moment it comes out ..

I'm a TrueNAS noob and doing all this was pretty easy .. danb35's install script probably makes it even easier (I've never used it though)

CH4Pz

Explorer
I did a manual install and then have my Plex Media Server folder mounted outside my plex jail which makes for easy reinstall if my Plex jail ever goes belly up (of which it did a couple times from my screw up(s)

Manual install of Plex if you want .. super easy .. I have it installed in a 13.1-RELEASE jail

from my setup:
Source:
/mnt/BackUPS/BackUPS/Apps/Plex
Destination:
/mnt/ThreeD-JAILZ/iocage/jails/3DPLEX/root/usr/local/plexdata-plexpass/Plex Media Server

in a nutshell .. stop your Plex jail .. then you create a folder on whatever drive you want .. cut the contents from (or copy then delete the source contents .. the folder has to be empty to create a mount point there) your Plex Media Server folder and paste in the folder you created .. then create your mount point and start the jail

I use the PMS_Updater.sh script to keep my Plex-Pass install up to date .. you can download the latest update when it pops up and update right away if you have to have the latest greatest the moment it comes out ..

I'm a TrueNAS noob and doing all this was pretty easy .. danb35's install script probably makes it even easier (I've never used it though)
I currently got 30 tabs open tryna workout how to transfer meta, as i installed the new plugin and used the same mountpoints, so all my data shows in the new plex, but if i stop the old one, then i lose everything in the new one, i even know where the data is, but im hopeless at using CLI and dunno how to copy from /usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/ to the new jails same location... but, im stubborb, im sure i'll get it haha

ThreeDee

Guru
I currently got 30 tabs open tryna workout how to transfer meta, as i installed the new plugin and used the same mountpoints, so all my data shows in the new plex, but if i stop the old one, then i lose everything in the new one, i even know where the data is, but im hopeless at using CLI and dunno how to copy from /usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/ to the new jails same location... but, im stubborb, im sure i'll get it haha
install something like WinSCP if you are on Windows .. then you can copy/paste/navigate like what you are used to .. not as efficient as the CLI once you get to know it though