Plex remote client and remote playing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gluttony.nl

Cadet
Hi all,

Have been using freenas for some time know, and have recently been playing around with plex plugin but keep running into a problem. Installing and configuring is no problem. Same goes for playing/streaming video files directly to a tablet or smartphone.

But for some reason the PMS does not see any client devices on the network so I can't use the app as a remote for my Rasplex nor can I stream from the PMS to the Rasplex directly from the plexapp

when executing:
http://jail-ip:34200/Client

I get the response
<MediaContainer size="0"></MediaContainer>

What does work:
- airplay from the iphone to rasplex (ugly solution)
- Installed a windows PC with PMS - And then everything was possible - streaming to rasplex - using the plex app as remote etc

and when using the windows PMS on the same machine/network and run the /client URL - I get
<MediaContainer size="1"><Server name="plexhometheater on rasplex" host="192.168.1.103" address="192.168.1.103" port="3005" machineIdentifier="95036eb8-29cd-49e7-8031-8fe4267aXXX" version="0.9.9.7-20131004-74de720c" protocol="xbmcjson" product="plexhometheater" deviceClass="HTPC"/></MediaContainer>

Help? Would really like to use the plex media server option ;)

voodoo486

Cadet
Same problem for me. The server knowing it has any clients connected is definitely the start of the problem.

After much searching it seems that Broadcasts or Multicasts are somehow not supported in the network. Like the OP, I also ruled out the possibility of my router or plex settings by setting up a duplicate server on my PC and everything works fine. It's possible this is a limitation or a bug in FreeNAS and or FreeNAS jails.

cheezehead

Dabbler
1) try rebooting the router
2) Double check and make sure the local network does not have authentication enabled (you can enable this if you want but the listed problem sometimes is due to this setting)
3) Try http://jail-ip:32400/web, do you get anything? If not, can you ping the jail-ip from your desktop/laptop?

Gluttony.nl

Cadet
Hi Cheezhead,

I have no problem getting to the Web interface of Plex, nor problems with pinging the jail from other devices.
It's a problem with plex and client - http://192.168.1.x:32400/Client - shows: <MediaContainer size="0" content="plugins"> </MediaContainer>

No clients meant no working remote app or streaming. Since a new install of plex 0.9.8.18.290 -and the new plex app - sometimes it works and sometime not - but again not stable for me at the moment....just too bad.

voodoo486

Cadet
I switched to unRaid and everything works now. The server sees clients and Plex remote automatically sees the server. At least for my setup, this indicates the original issue is not network related since all my network hardware stayed the same. It was either the FreeNas Plex plugin or the FreeNas software/settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.