Plex metadata relocate to SSD

joeld79

Dabbler
Hey all, trying to find a tutorial or some help in moving my plex metadata folder out of the jail and over to a a fresh 500GB SSD. Ive seen an option on plex>settings>server>advanced but dont currently have that option available when on plex web interface. Im running a NAS killer 2.0 build with freenas 11.6, TIA

kdragon75

Wizard
freenas 11.6
How is life in the future? Im guessing you mean 11.1U6.:p
If you running plex as a jail, you can mount any of your datasets anywhere in the jail. Or you could just move the whole jail dataset to an SSD backed pool keeping the media on the spinners.

joeld79

Dabbler
hah life is great! Ok i get that but how do i specifically tell freenas to do that? symlinks?

kdragon75

Wizard
I don't know off hand how to move jails to a different pool but I'm sure a little digging will find that. Then if the media is on your main pool, just mount the folder in the jail with the nullfs mounts. No need for symlinks. Again a bit of searching will find everything. Hint use google not the forum search.

joeld79

Dabbler
Ive been searching google for a couple days now after getting my system built....for freeNAS ive found no actual guide or steps to make that happen, thats why I posted here

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why would you want to do this? What possible benefit do you expect to see? It's not hard to do, as such, but it seems completely pointless.

kdragon75

Wizard
Why would you want to do this? What possible benefit do you expect to see? It's not hard to do, as such, but it seems completely pointless.
If they have an extremely large library and slow disks.... I might be a marginal benefit.

kdragon75

Wizard
Google "FreeNAS move iocage to a new pool" and take a look at the first result.
&
Google "freenas plex iocage mount dataset" again the top result.
The topics are not EXACT answers but should get you moving in the correct direction.

joeld79

Dabbler
thanks for those links, i had already visited one but the other was very useful. I understand up to the part where i need to tell Plex that the dataset has moved to a dif pool/jail, seems for windows this is easy but freenas more complex

Kris Heslop

Dabbler
Did you get the answer to this? I have an SSD I want to be able to put the metadata on so the screens populate faster in use. My searches have not revealed any FreeNAS specific tutorials or helps, the tutorials I have seen say to make a change in the Plex settings through the web interface, but I am not able to locate a settings screen that refers to the storage place for the metadata (or like name) only some for the actual libraries locations.