Plex Media + FreeNas 9.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESDC

Dabbler
Ok so I installed plex media as a plugin on 9.1.1 and followed the instructions here:

Based on the instructions if I enter the GUI page I'm supposed to see this

04_plexui-add-section.png

But instead I see a login page.
I then registered for a plex account and I enter my username and password I registered. It then forwards me to a sad face and says "This media server is unavailable to you. Please check that you have permission to access this media server."

I already changed ownership of the dataset to nobody:nobody and 777 permissions. So there has to be something wrong somewhere ... Help please?

zodiacq

Cadet
Maybe it needs to connect to the internet, are your nameservers set up correctly, so that it can resolve the ip address?

ESDC

Dabbler
Maybe it needs to connect to the internet, are your nameservers set up correctly, so that it can resolve the ip address?

Yes I entered the jail and got a ping reply from google. I also tried to use a different password on the login page and it can't connect so I don't think the Internet connection is a concern.

Do I need a paid subscription from Plex in order for this plugin to work?

enemy85

Guru
Hi, u don't need to pay a subscription because i installed the plugin few days ago and it works properly for me.
I can access it from
Http://plex_jail_ip:32400/web

ESDC

Dabbler
Ok so to recreate this bug allow me to enumerate the steps I took to reinstall the plugin. Please comment what step I am doing wrong.

1) Delete plugin
2) Install plugin
3) Enter plexmedia jail (jexec plex_1 /bin/tcsh)
4) Add storage (source: freenas/plexmedia destination: plexjail/plexmedia)
5) start plugin
6) enter http://plex_jail_ip:32400/web
7) login page (username password)
8) enter username password registered
9) "This media server is unavailable to you. Please check that you have permission to access this media server."

enemy85

Guru
Hi, here it's what I did:

1) I installed the plugin directly from FREENAS web GUI "plugin tab"
2) automatically freenas created the plex_1 jail and installed the plugin in it
(he settles the plex media server ip address on his own)
3) then u add storage just selecting the media starting folder on freenas and the "media" destination folder in plex jail (note 1: the media folder in plax jail is created automatically; note 2 i just allowed permission to "0thers" at the media dataset in my freenas)

after that i just started the service and entering "http://plex_jail_ip:32400/web" there was no login asking for me (i read somewhere that it's default disabled if installed in this way)
then i registered at plex but just in orther to make it works from outside the freenas network.

ESDC

Dabbler
Did you change the permission in the dataset? I set user and group to "nobody" and the mode as 777 (read write execute) everybody. Thanks again for the help

enemy85

Guru
Mode 777 for me too, but with a user i created...try not to use "nobody" but an existing user u created. No any other ideas...

ESDC

Dabbler
Mode 777 for me too, but with a user i created...try not to use "nobody" but an existing user u created. No any other ideas...
Hmmm ... is it probably because I'm using LDAP? Let me try to disable that

enemy85

Guru
I'm not using AD neither LDAP so i can't help in that case

ESDC

Dabbler
So turning off directory services still didn't work ... I give up lol :p

Hi. Anyone ever figure anything out about this issue?
I'm having the same problem.
Simply can't login to myPlex at all. If I do, then my own media server is "unreachable" to me.
Thanks.

ESDC

Dabbler
Glad to finally hear I'm not the only one with this problem lol :P no luck on my end yet

I can give you a workaround for this that I've used. In the jail edit the file Plex Media Server Preferences.xml file (in my case) located at:

/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml

and add the attribute

disableRemoteSecurity="1"

to the Preferences element.

Then give your server a restart and check again

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver restart

Status
Not open for further replies.