Plex - Disk 80% Busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC

Contributor
I'm running Plex on a FreeNAS server with RaidZ1. I notice FreeNAS reports the 3 hard disks in my pool as being 80% busy and very high Disk I/O pretty much all the time. If I shutdown Plex (turn off the jail) everything pretty much goes to zero. When I turn the Plex server back on (turn the jail on) things stay very low for about 24 hours then they are back at the high levels. Plex runs just fine.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what I might turn off in Plex to determine what is beating on my disks?

Thnx,
-TAC

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So, unless you change settings, Plex does a massive update once every 24 hours to its metadata stash/database, etc. It would appear that what you're experiencing is this process never ending. Which is bad, potentially.

Once your Plex is "up-to-date", this should not be something that runs for more than a few minutes. How "mature" is the plex server? Is this something you just installed, or is this something you've had? Your hardware looks good.

TAC

Contributor
I've had my plex server running for years.

I went in to Plex and turned off every update I could find. Disk Busy is now hanging at ~2%. I'll give it 24 hours and see if it stays in this range (with no one on the system). If so, I start to turn on features and see what happens.

TAC

Contributor
Creep right back to 80%. :(

DiskBusy.png

Status
Not open for further replies.