Plex can't find my Media - but worked once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mebster

Cadet
I installed Plex using this guide on Youtube: FreeNAS® 9.2.1: Plex Media Server Plugin and it worked great until tried to update it. Since then it's been broken.

I tried to do it all again from scratch. I used the Restore feature from the console screen and also formatted the USB stick and wrote it again but I didn't format my hard drive which contains the media. But now when I install Plex, it doesn't find my data when I'm trying to add Movies or TV Shows.

I've looked at permissions and I'm fairly new to all this but I can't see anything wrong and more importantly I haven't done anything different from the first time I set it up when it worked.

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
Permissions are a real source of pain with Unix/Linux systems. If you did a reinstall then the user/group numbers may not be the same as the first install.

The format of permissions is owner, group, everybody. So you want Everybody to have read access, but not write access. If you make Plex part of the group for the files, then you can set the permissions for group to read. You also have to consider inherited permissions from the parent folders that can cause you issues. Be aware I am referring to the permissions on the disk, not share permissions.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.