PLEX cannot find a server

lobo feroz

Cadet
Dear FreeNAS community,

I am exploring the capabilities of the FreeNAS 11 and FreeNAS in general. In particular, I have installed the PLEX plugin, following this guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaiBWJ2r2Hg), the only difference is that the jail and the multimedia datasets are inside the only hard disk installed in the cpu (for the moment), everything else is the same, including permissions, directories etc. However, when I entered the plex platform to configure it, I got the message "Unable to find a server, download and install Plex Media Server and it will appear here."

I have a dataset where I have put two folders with files for testing and it presents the plex interface, but it does not find the server that should be hosted within the same FreeNAS box (TRANSLATING FORM SPANISH, IT SAYS: "Searching servers..... Unable to find a server, download and install Plex Media Server and it will appear here").

open
PLEX ISSUE.jpg

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

ThreeDee

Guru

jwm22

Cadet
Hi there,

I am having exactly the same problem. I worked through the tutorial movie (several times).
And when done, I can acces the local plex-site, so it seems to be working, however it keeps saying "no server found".

I also tried the actions in the tutorial provided by threedee. But it doesn't make a difference.

I'm running a clean FreeNAS 11 system, on an old desktop system, just to get acquainted with FreeNAS, before building a true NAS system.

What could I have done wrong?
- the plugin is installed; (service status is running)
- the jail is created and also running;
- Plex is accessible on the provided IP address (yeah), but "no server found"

any help.. please?

icsy7867

Contributor
I had this exact issue, but I tried several methods:

• Plex Plugin
  • Manual Install In Jail
  • Spun up an Ubuntu VM on KVM/oVirt
  • I even tried making a new plex account
Still had the "Server could not be found" errors. I posted in the plex forums and got little to no support. I have since abandoned plex and moved to Emby, which I like a whole lot better. (Fire TV app is a little wonky and needs to be force closed sometimes). Otherwise there is significantly more control over the app, and you can even provide your own certificates for encryption (Which I prefer!). I would highly recommend it.

Sorry you are having issues and that I dont have an actual solution. But this is what I have done, and I am now a paid Emby supporter.

jwm22

Cadet
Hi there IC,

thanks for the quick reply, that offcourse is one way. Just go around it. Well Plex is just a means to an end, so why not.
Do you know if Emby has an Apple tv app? That's they way I use most of the time.

And I didn't try at the plex forum just yet, I thought I try it over here.
But I will keep you solution in mind. Thanks for the tip!

icsy7867

Contributor
I believe they do! All my TV players are firetvs. But I see there announcements all the time.

You can definitely try the Plex forums, maybe someone will help you. I was amazingly frustrated at the time (like that rage filled forum posting rage) and I was on the verge of buying a plexpass until this happened. The service is free, but several of their premium features are quite worth it IMO.

They do some things different than Plex though, so there might be a little bit of a learning curve but I am glad I switched so far.

Good luck! If you happen to fix the plex issue I would be curious to the solution.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Try placing your gateway IP in the "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" in the server -> network settings.

jwm22

Cadet
Hi Jailer,

Thanks for thinking along.
However I'm not quite sure what you mean. You mean in the network settings within the FreeNAS system, not my router. right?

In FreeNAS, I cannot the find the option you are referring to. Is it under network settings?
(see my print screen)

hope to hear from you!

Attachments

• network settings.jpg
    network settings.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 999

icsy7867

Contributor
I believe this is a setting in plex. If you log into where you have your first screenshot and click the "Wrench and Screwdriver" in the top right, I believe that is a setting you can try.

I think I tried that when my plex instances were having issues as well.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes it is a Plex server setting, sorry for not being more clear on that.

Redcoat

MVP
There is not such option.
It's on the "Server" "Settings" "Network" page, and hit the "show advanced" button on upper right of screen. You were on the "Web" pages.

BTW, I don't see that you mentioned having established an account with Plex ...

jwm22

Cadet
Hi Redcoat,

You're right, I was on the web page. But I do not have a server settings tab.
May be because the server is no where to be found?

I have an plex account. I'm already using it on several devices. But untill know the media server was running on an old apple computer. I want to move it to the FreeNAS environment. If I'm able to find out how..

Keller

Cadet
I'm having the very same issue.

I was using Plex on my freenas over 2 years and now it simply doesnt work! Already tried a clean install and followed every single tutorial that was supposed to fix. But right after installing, it prompts for credentials instead of opening directly the setup of plex. So the plex ends up to run as if it was a CLIENT and not as a PLEX SERVER.

Medallish

Cadet
I'm having the very same issue.

I was using Plex on my freenas over 2 years and now it simply doesnt work! Already tried a clean install and followed every single tutorial that was supposed to fix. But right after installing, it prompts for credentials instead of opening directly the setup of plex. So the plex ends up to run as if it was a CLIENT and not as a PLEX SERVER.
Exactly the same issue here, down to the 2(+/- a few months) years of it working just fine, then I ran the last update, it broke Plex so that it couldn't match my media properly, which unfortunately is not unexpected, so as I'd usually do in that situation I removed it and install the plugin over again, and well this is where I'm at now, no server just stuck at "looking for server".

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Try logging in to your account at plex web site and try again.

silverback

Contributor
Just a comment probably not a solution but I have had this symptom when adding a second Plex Server on my LAN. Also running the UPnP service on your router can help if you are having trouble forwarding ports, although this is known to be less secure.

Medallish

Cadet
I've always been signed in, but since silverback suggests it can have to do with UPNP it's probably not a bad idea to look through my mess of an internet connection that currently uses two routers(ISP router is not keen on running in Bridge mode).

Medallish

Cadet
Nope, same again, I Finally managed to bridge my ISP router, so now the only thing between my Freenas server and the internet is a pfsense router, I also disabled UPNP on my router, and port forwarded 32400, and it's still just stuck on "looking for server".

After this I installed Emby instead, and it just works so far, I had to open up a port to access it from the outside, but doing so just worked without complications, so I'm pretty sure it's not my network causing issues with plex now.. I don't think I'll need help as I'll probably just stick to Emby, but I'm willing to try out some fixes, just to help others who might run into the same issue.