Piwigo 13 for TrueNAS Scale

jonidimo

Dabbler
Hi there,

I'm trying to install Piwigo 13.8 on TrueNAS Scale 22.12 (Bluefin) on an old server I've had for about 10 years (CPU x5660, 16GB DDR3 ECC). Initially, I had FreeNAS installed, but I recently upgraded to Scale to take advantage of easier application installation and better hardware utilization without having to create VMs. I thought the official TrueNAS catalogs and TrueCharts would make installations as simple as a click. However, I've found it to be just as complex as Core when installing Nextcloud (with TrueCharts, I had to install pgAdmin, CloudNative-PG, Prometheus, which took me several days to figure out until I received a response on the TrueCharts Discord).

Now I'm attempting to install Piwigo, which I also thought would be straightforward using the catalog or Docker. However, it's not available in the catalog, only in the TrueCharts Incubator catalog, and it's version 11.5. I wanted to install the latest stable version, which is 13.8. I've tried everything, but I couldn't even get version 11.5 to work because I couldn't get Mariadb to function properly. Can someone please help me or guide me on what I should do or know to install Piwigo? Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

danb35

Hall of Famer
There are lots of photo gallery apps available for SCALE, but Piwigo isn't one of them, at least if you want one that's stable and supported--the Incubator catalog is stuff that's under development and not necessarily expected to work. You may be able to use the "Launch Docker Image" button to get it running, or it's possible the TrueCharts folks would have some more information on their Discord server.

jonidimo

Dabbler
There are lots of photo gallery apps available for SCALE, but Piwigo isn't one of them, at least if you want one that's stable and supported--the Incubator catalog is stuff that's under development and not necessarily expected to work. You may be able to use the "Launch Docker Image" button to get it running, or it's possible the TrueCharts folks would have some more information on their Discord server.
I understand that the Incubator catalog contains applications that are still under development. Unfortunately, I've already tried using the "Launch Docker Image", but it didn't work for me. I also reached out to the communities on Discord, but I haven't received any responses yet. Additionally, I've posted my inquiry on the Piwigo forum, but I'm still awaiting any helpful insights.
If you have any other suggestions or resources that could assist me in installing Piwigo on TrueNAS Scale, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you for your response.

Hyperenegade

Cadet
Hi there,

I'm trying to install Piwigo 13.8 on TrueNAS Scale 22.12 (Bluefin) on an old server I've had for about 10 years (CPU x5660, 16GB DDR3 ECC). Initially, I had FreeNAS installed, but I recently upgraded to Scale to take advantage of easier application installation and better hardware utilization without having to create VMs. I thought the official TrueNAS catalogs and TrueCharts would make installations as simple as a click. However, I've found it to be just as complex as Core when installing Nextcloud (with TrueCharts, I had to install pgAdmin, CloudNative-PG, Prometheus, which took me several days to figure out until I received a response on the TrueCharts Discord).

Now I'm attempting to install Piwigo, which I also thought would be straightforward using the catalog or Docker. However, it's not available in the catalog, only in the TrueCharts Incubator catalog, and it's version 11.5. I wanted to install the latest stable version, which is 13.8. I've tried everything, but I couldn't even get version 11.5 to work because I couldn't get Mariadb to function properly. Can someone please help me or guide me on what I should do or know to install Piwigo? Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Hey there, I got lost trying to install nextcloud and pgadmin and all the necessary files. I hope you don't mind if you helped me out. Relatively new user here.

jonidimo

Dabbler
Hey there, I got lost trying to install nextcloud and pgadmin and all the necessary files. I hope you don't mind if you helped me out. Relatively new user here.
Hello there. My experience with TrueCharts for Nextcloud on TrueNAS Scale was rather disappointing. After just under a week of installation, both Nextcloud and pgadmin received updates. I proceeded to update them, but unfortunately, the applications stopped functioning altogether. Despite my efforts to resolve the issues, I eventually had to admit defeat. At this point, I haven't had the opportunity to try setting up a virtual machine (VM) as an alternative. However, I did go down that route with Piwigo, and it proved to be a much smoother experience. The VM with Piwigo even offers snapshot functionality, I must admit I couldn't find this feature in the "applications" menu. In hindsight, the time and effort I invested in migrating from TrueNAS Core to TrueNAS Scale, with hopes of enhanced convenience and resource efficiency through containerized apps, feels somewhat wasted. The lack of clear direction and ongoing conflicts with TrueCharts have only added to the frustration. Furthermore, the recurring issue of updates breaking previously functioning components has been a significant drawback. In the end, I've come to realize that opting for a virtual machine provides a higher level of reliability and data security, even if it comes at a slightly higher resource cost.