SOLVED pfSense - new server vs. original config saved file

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I found this in the pfSense docs page, but I'm looking for validation before proceeding...

Current specs/version/config (WAN - igb0, LAN - em0)
2.4.2-RELEASE-p1 (amd64)
built on Tue Dec 12 13:45:26 CST 2017
FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p6

So I've built a new server for pfSense and installed the latest version using ZFS, and obviously
the NIC/MAC addresses will be different from my old machine, right!

My old config file has been saved to a client machine.

When making the physical switch from old chassis to the new, once I set up the new NICs
in the pfSense console, do I then import my saved config file to restore my settings?

I guess my ignorance of what "settings" the pfSense configuration actually saves is my
question here.

Am I just going to have to reconfigure my IP range, Static IPs, etc. manually :(

kdragon75

Wizard
Wrong forum...

Your backed up config will have almost EVERYTHING. The way pfSense abstracts the interfaces makes it easy to do what your doing. Your "LAN" "interface" is more like an interface profile that binds to your actual port. So when you import your config in the GUI (when the new router is still all default) you can go to [Interfaces] -> [Interface assignments] and make any corrections before rebooting.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The only thing you may have to change is the driver for your NIC's in your config file and you would do that with a text editor before you restore it. You won't have to reconfigure anything, everything including all your settings and RRD graphs (if you saved them with your config) will be restored after you upload your config. It's as painless as restoring a config file for FreeNAS.

Having said that I have restored my config before with different NIC's in place on a new machine and it's still imported and restored everything correctly and switched NIC drivers automatically.

What LAN and WAN NIC's are in your current rig and the new rig?

kdragon75

Wizard
The only thing you may have to change is the driver for your NIC's in your config file and you would do that with a text editor before you restore it. You won't have to reconfigure anything, everything including all your settings and RRD graphs (if you saved them with your config) will be restored after you upload your config. It's as painless as restoring a config file for FreeNAS.

Having said that I have restored my config before with different NIC's in place on a new machine and it's still imported and restored everything correctly and switched NIC drivers automatically.

Good point about being able to modify the config XML file for the new driver names em, igb, etc...

I do have to say I wish pfSense and FreeNAS would learn from each other.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Wrong forum...
Good morning there! In case you have not noticed, this is the Off Topic area.
I will blame your thin mountain air for your faux pas...

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

I was actually going to PM you this morning, but was still trying to find answers before doing that,
so thanks for your response here @Jailer
old nics are WAN = igb0 and LAN = em0
new nics are WAN = igb1 and LAN = ix1

BTW I just LOVE the new iKVM/HTML5 on the new motherboard (X10SDV-2C-TP4F)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
WAN isn't changed so if you haven't restored your config already all you would have to do is change the LAN from em0 to ix0 with something like notepadd++ and your all set to restore it. It's pretty simple to find in the config file everything is labeled.

Status
Not open for further replies.