PCIe 4.0

jpmomo

Dabbler
Does anyone have any experience with using truenas with a pcie 4.0 system (nvme, cpu, motherboard and nics) My specific setup includes amd epyc rome cpus, intel optane p5800x ssd, samsung pm1735 ssd, various m.2 pcie 4.0 nvme ssds and mellanox connectx-5/6 pcie 4.0 NICs. The motherboards include tyan s8030, asrock rack romed6 and tyan ts75-b8252. They all seem to be throwing truenas console/cli errors for correcting pcie errors. Most of the functionality from the gui seems to work but these alerts/errors have me wondering.
thanks,
jp

Last edited by a moderator:

Arwen

MVP
I too would like to know. My next / new NAS is an AMD Epyc Rome as well, on a ASRock Rack ROMED6U-2L2T board. Still need some parts before I put it together.

Last edited:

jpmomo

Dabbler
That is the same board I am using in a couple of my builds. I can give you some details and anything that I learn along the way.

Arwen

MVP
That is the same board I am using in a couple of my builds. I can give you some details and anything that I learn along the way.
Did you use any of the 3 x 4 port SATA connectors?

That's my plan to get 4 x 3.5" disks and 4 x 2.5" disks wired up. Seems straight forward, and ASRock Rack included 1 x 4 port SAS to SATA break out cable, so I only needed to buy 1 more.

Are you using the 10Gbps ports?
Do they work well, (at 1Gbps speed)?

In the short term my home network is just 1Gbps. But, if the 10Gbps ports offer a TCP off-load engine, then even at 1Gbps speed they would probably be better than the builtin 1Gbps ports.