PCI to SATA add-on card compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of a "PCI to SATA add-on card" which works with FreeNAS?

Trying to upgrade a home build FreeNAS.
Mainboard only has IDE connections for Hard Disk Drives (HDD)
Mainboard does not have interface ports for SATA HDDs.
Can FreeNAS access SATA drives connected to a "PCI to SATA add-on card?"
Would like to increase storage space to 4 Tb.

PCI to SATA add-on cards sold in market seem to be made only for Windoze.
because there no mention of compatibility with GNU/Linux or FreeNAS for that matter.

Home Build FreeNAS Specifications
  • CPU: Pentium 4 @ 1.60GHz
  • RAM: 1.5 MB
  • OS Version: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p12 (revision 199506)
  • FreeNAS Version: 0.686.4 (revision 3374) boots from CF card reader
Is possible for FreeNAS to access SATA HDDs connected to a "PCI to SATA add-on card?"
Any clues appreciated.

Thank you.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Where to begin?

You have posted a question regarding a completely different product.
The version of FreeNAS you are running was moved (and updated several years ago) to NAS4Free

This is specifically listed in the forum guidelines here that if you are running ANYTHING prior to a FreeNAS version 8.x then you are in the wrong forum.

Just because a sata card doesn't specifically list BSD or Linux compatibility doesn't mean it won't work. You need to find what chip set the card runs and search compatibility with the BSD or Linux you are running.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ndboost

Explorer
im still very much newb to FreeNAS but.. in my experience you get what you pay for when it comes to raid/sata controllers.. there is a stickied thread in this section which talks about the IBM ServeRAID M1015 being a decent card and quite affordable.. I dumped $60 + shipping on my highpoint rocketraid card a year ago, and i wish i had seen that thread before-hand..

edit: ohhhh he said PCI... not PCI-E...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That system is just completely inadequate for a FreeNAS server. PCI.... only 1.5GB of RAM... Pentium 4.... just not going to work out, but you'll spend lots of money and time trying to get it to work if you really want to keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.