SOLVED PC / system doesn't stay shut down, auto switch on

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I should've checked your hardware. By any chance, are you using any overclocking features in your BIOS? Please disable all overclocking. Also run your memory only at JEDEC timings, and disable any XMP settings. Likewise, disable the Rapid Start and Smart Connect features.

flashdrive

Patron
No overclocking is being used.

Setup in EFI is trimmed for stability already. Said features in the last sentence are disabled already.

I will give it a shot with the EFI reset from scratch.

However I am still not convinced, that this is the solution. We shall see.

flashdrive

Patron
another idea I am going to try first:

I will copy the TN Core config from the old setup of this PC to the now "non-staying shut down" setup to see if this helps

flashdrive

Patron
Ok, from here it is becoming bizarre on an official level:

1) replace the TN Core config with an older, working one (will stay shutdown) -> this alone will fail with the auto-restart still occuring
2) remove the 10 GBit LAN cable on the right (Internet connection cable from switch to bridge), 2nd LAN cable 10GBit is connected, 3rd LAN onboard not connected
3) whilst the System is running: plug in another usb thumb drive with TN Core ...6 ISO (setup USB)

The existing pool on the HDDs was not decrypted, obviously

with this - and the proper support from the moonshine outside - the very same system will stay shut down

same TN Core ...6 ISO (setup USB) and another empty USB thumb drive plugged in from the get go = host start doesn't do the trick > only same TN Core ...6 ISO (setup USB) has to be connected during runtime of TN Core System after startup

Last edited:

flashdrive

Patron
even better:

I have removed all the USB thumb drives

replaced 1 of the HDDs with an SSD > install TN Core ...6 on the SSD, boot BIOS mode - the same issue, autostart after shutdown, even after applying the latest config.

I am at a loss here.

During the installation from USB thumb drive to SSD: at the very end System Shutdown operation was successful.

So what could be the reason for not keeping shut off?

flashdrive

Patron
I found the issue:

It was the connected USB keyboard. edit: problem also with PS2 kb connected.

Even switching to another USB kb did not help.

So a trusty PS2 kb comes to the rescue.

lessons learned:

really always disconnect everything for a basic check

Last edited: