Page Faults in 8.2 Beta 4 - Possibly Plugin Related

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankyd

Dabbler
Howdy, folks. I am getting fairly consistent page faults/crashses in my system after upgrading to 8.2 Beta 4. I believe it may be due to the transmission plugin, though I am not sure. How can I provide more details so as to be helpful?

Here's what I've done so far:

Starting with a Beta 3 install, I tried to run the Beta 4 upgrade. It seemed to work ok, but the system would page fault within 3 minutes of booting, always reporting 1-2.5 minutes of uptime. Being as that it was a simple setup, I decided to wipe the install and try again new.

After wiping the flash drive and installing fresh, things seemed to work ok. After a few hours of uptime, I went to re-install the transmission plugin. The first time I tried to start it, it failed to start. I moved onto other more interesting things with my time (including using the nas as an NFS share).

I let it run over night and tried again in the morning. First go, it failed again. I decided to try one more time and then the machine stopped again with a page fault. Now the machine is back into the state where it page faults on boot.

Any advice on how to get the machine back in working order? What information can I provide to help track down this bug?

peterh

Patron
You have a hardware problem that has been accentuated by the upgrade ( some feature/timing that was
not critical in the previous release)

Get memtest86 and see if that one experiences any memory related problem.
Make shure that bios settings are "correct"
remove any unneeded hardware

languy

Dabbler
Again, B4 does seem less stable. NFS issues, weird issues access dataset permissions, etc. B2 is fine, B3 is fine, B4 not so much. Lots of different hardware all of which has issues. I've dropped back to B2 as NFS performance on B2 is faster than B3 or B4.

mankyd

Dabbler
I actually ran memtest and came up clean. The hardware in the machine is barebones, so there's nothing really to remove. I am going to try swapping out the thumbdrive, but I don't know when I'll have time to do that. I am not optimistic that that will fix it, but who knows.

languy

Dabbler
Plugin Service Not Running

I don't have the plugin service running on any version of 8.2. I have CIFS,AFP, FTP, NFS, SSH, iSCSI. RaidZ. I do have a lagg (2 port intel pci-e adapter). 8.2B4 crashes if Windows 7 tries to mount an NFS export. Consistently. NFS performance under B4 is quite a bit slower (30%?) maybe. CIFS and AFP seem unchanged.

mankyd

Dabbler
After swapping in a new motherboard and doing a clean install from the official release, I am still getting page faults. I now believe that it may be related to this: https://support.freenas.org/ticket/1662

This kind of makes 8.2 useless for many people I would think. I hope that there's a patch soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.