Owncloud storage not connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Prince

Explorer
Your /mnt is empty. And /mnt isn't an external storage.....I'm not sure what you're doing at this point.

I want to see and manage my file located in /mnt/mynas/Ale using owncloud service, exactly as I've done until 3 days ago via storage mapping between /mnt/mynas/Ale
and /mnt/mynas/jails/owncloud_1/media/myowncloudaccount/files.

So I tried to configure the external storage as said by danb35

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I want to see and manage my file located in /mnt/mynas/Ale using owncloud service, exactly as I've done until 3 days ago via storage mapping between /mnt/mynas/Ale
and /mnt/mynas/jails/owncloud_1/media/myowncloudaccount/files.

So I tried to configure the external storage as said by danb35
/mnt/mynas looks like it's located on your freenas, not in the jail. Inside the jail, everything is in relation to the root of the jail.

Mr Prince

Explorer
yes mynas is located in freenas. So this EXTERNAL storage is for file INTERNAL the jail?? Is not a solution to my problem?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Your /mnt is empty. And /mnt isn't an external storage.....I'm not sure what you're doing at this point.
He wants to manage his files using a sharing protocol (like CIFS) but still have owncloud index/manage them. The only way to do this correctly is to use external storage mounts. Which owncloud assumes can be modified by other programs.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
He wants to manage his files using a sharing protocol (like CIFS) but still have owncloud index/manage them. The only way to do this correctly is to use external storage mounts. Which owncloud assumes can be modified by other programs.
Right. But you would need to mount a CIFS share from within the owncloud jail?

From what i can tell he is trying to point his owncloud to a direct filepath to the freenas storage/dataset

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Right. But you would need to mount a CIFS share from within the owncloud jail?

From what i can tell he is trying to point his owncloud to a direct filepath to the freenas storage/dataset
basically this is what i think he should be doing
dataset on freenas named Ale
Ale dataset is mounted into the jail at /mnt
uses owncloud's external storage mount app (local-fs module) to have /mnt replace his Locale folder in owncloud
Ale dataset is also shared out via CIFS

He could also potentially use the external storage mount app's smbfs plugin. an not have to mount the dataset into the jail.

####
As to why. Some people want to use CIFS to access their files locally instead of owncloud's sync client. Nt sure their reasoning, but this is a possibility.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Here the screenshots!!

0FPPCaT.png

OLESno8.png

Tvja2rZ.png
I don't see an issue here. Where's the permission error? Did the Locale folder show up in your owncloud files view?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
basically this is what i think he should be doing
dataset on freenas named Ale
Ale dataset is mounted into the jail at /mnt
uses owncloud's external storage mount app (local-fs module) to have /mnt replace his Locale folder in owncloud
Ale dataset is also shared out via CIFS

He could also potentially use the external storage mount app's smbfs plugin. an not have to mount the dataset into the jail.

####
As to why. Some people want to use CIFS to access their files locally instead of owncloud's sync client. Nt sure their reasoning, but this is a possibility.
Sorry, I confused the external CIFS module and the local storage 'external' module.

I understand what he is TRYING to do, but his mount points are not correct somewhere. Inside his jail his /mnt is empty. That indicates the storage is not mounted correctly. And he refers to /mnt/mynas inside the jail which is wrong. I think there is some confusion as to how storage works with jails.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
@Mr Prince , based on your FIRST post in this thread, the screenshot indicates you should be trying to use /media inside OwnCloud as your external storage locale

Mr Prince

Explorer
@Mr Prince , based on your FIRST post in this thread, the screenshot indicates you should be trying to use /media inside OwnCloud as your external storage locale

In my first post I said I used for 1 year a storage mapping to connect all the file in /mnt/mynas/Ale to Owncloud account (/mnt/mynas/jails/owncloud_1/media/myaccount/files). But Cyberjock said it is not a correct way!!! So there is an alternative way to do this?? External storage? Sync? what?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yeah, external storage mounts can get confusing. There's multiple menus he'd need to coordinate. his freenas storage, jail mount, and owncloud external storage mount. Plus he'd need to make sure the owncloud user and CIFS can both write and read each other's files.

I did this briefly so I could still access my files with NFS. But when I setup my production owncloud system about a year ago I decided to just use the owncloud desktop client, even locally. Since then I've been happy with the owncloud desktop client and it meets my needs fine.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
In my first post I said I used for 1 year a storage mapping to connect all the file in /mnt/mynas/Ale to Owncloud account (/mnt/mynas/jails/owncloud_1/media/myaccount/files). But Cyberjock said it is not a correct way!!! So there is an alternative way to do this?? External storage? Sync? what?
exactly as i specified, but you likely did something wrong.

please answer my question here
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/owncloud-storage-not-connected.39483/page-2#post-244772

and show a screenshot of your Jails > Storage tab as well.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
based on your latest screenshots, you are trying to map your Locale storage in OwnCloud to /mnt. Do you even have storage mounted to /mnt? /mnt/mynas does not exist in the jail. based on your screenshot, you have nothing in /mnt.

Mr Prince

Explorer
exactly as i specified, but you likely did something wrong.

please answer my question here
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/owncloud-storage-not-connected.39483/page-2#post-244772
and show a screenshot of your Jails > Storage tab as well.

Related to your question, this is the screenshot about the permission problem.

LLNRh49.png

Now my Jail > storage jail is empty because cyberjock said it was a wrong way to manage file.

ffGqFxF.png

based on your latest screenshots, you are trying to map your Locale storage in OwnCloud to /mnt. Do you even have storage mounted to /mnt? /mnt/mynas does not exist in the jail. based on your screenshot, you have nothing in /mnt.

In the end the solution is to create a storage from /mnt/mynas/Ale to /mnt/mynas/jails/owncloud/mnt/ ????

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I CONFIRM!!! That was the solution!! NOW IT WORKS!!!

Very very very THANK YOU for the patience!!
glad it works. coordinating all these mount menus gets complicated. if you are ok with just using the owncloud desktop client, that makes things simpler in my opinion.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Sorry for my stupid question but what you sync? Sync between what? You mean this http://en.flossmanuals.net/owncloud/owncloud-client/ ??
No. "Syncthing".

https://syncthing.net/

There is a plugin on freenas for it and there is a version available for every operating system.

I don't like the owncloud client as I have had lots of issues with it in the past. I prefer syncing any folder I desire among my several laptops/desktops and my mobile devices. I don't have to worry about these issues like what you are seeing here.

It's not the same thing as owncloud, it is more like an open source version of btsync, so it doesn't do things that owncloud does. It is purely a syncing tool that allows for versioning.

Mr Prince

Explorer
No. "Syncthing".

https://syncthing.net/

There is a plugin on freenas for it and there is a version available for every operating system.

I don't like the owncloud client as I have had lots of issues with it in the past. I prefer syncing any folder I desire among my several laptops/desktops and my mobile devices. I don't have to worry about these issues like what you are seeing here.

It's not the same thing as owncloud, it is more like an open source version of btsync, so it doesn't do things that owncloud does. It is purely a syncing tool that allows for versioning.

Aaaaaaa I didn't know that plugin!! Now I try to understand how it works :D:D;) Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.