SOLVED Outlook .pst only available for a very short time on SMB share

Nicolas68

Dabbler
Hello everyone

I use FREENAS since many many years now, but lately I wanted to give a new go to my little configuration. With the new ACL system I have to admit that I needed to scratch my head several times! But ok for now it's working so far. I understood that you cannot use root as access anymore to your share and need an user. Fine I did it.

But I was used to open all the .pst files from Outlook directly on the NAS. I have a strange behavior with this now, I can open Outlook, see my several files connected to several mailboxes, open may mails, read them...but after 5 minutes I loose the access to my files and I get a message like the files are not availaible anymore...

I can still access my share from Windows explorer, open files, create files...but Outlook isn't able to use the .pst files that are located on the NAS.

Does anyone have an idea?

Does Outlook use another user? if I save a mail on the NAS I do not see another user than the one I setup.

thanks for your support

Nicolas

TrueNAS-12.0-U1
ASRock J5005-ITX - Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5005 CPU @ 1.50GHz
2x Western Digital WD30EFAX RED 3Tb
Crucial RAM CT2K4G4SFS824A 8Gb Kit (2x4Gb) DDR4 2400 MHz CL17
Boot: Samsung SSD Interne 860 EVO 2.5" (250 Gb)
Corsair Obsidian 250D

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
ACL system was in FreeNAS since at least 9.2 (when I first started using it). Difference is just whether there is a GUI method of editing them. I think they were added around 2008 or so to FreeBSD. If you can get a packet capture from wireshark for behavior that might help figure out what's happening (logs from samba might also be useful).

Nicolas68

Dabbler
ACL system was in FreeNAS since at least 9.2 (when I first started using it). Difference is just whether there is a GUI method of editing them. I think they were added around 2008 or so to FreeBSD. If you can get a packet capture from wireshark for behavior that might help figure out what's happening (logs from samba might also be useful).

Hello anodos, thank you for your reply

I could make it run for hours with Wireshark and not getting any error in live, bu I can see that when everything works fine it looks like what you can see in the file "work.zip"

work.png

and when it doesn't work anymore because the file isn't accessible anymore you get what you can see in "nowork.zip"

nowork.png

If I look the samba logs, no entry since 1 day...

thanks for your help

Nicolas

Attachments

• work.zip
    186.6 KB · Views: 144
  • nowork.zip
    202.8 KB · Views: 168

c77dk

Patron
5 minutes?
How is the share setup?
If I remember correctly one of the presets says something about locking the files after 5minutes

Adrian

Contributor
5 minutes?
How is the share setup?
If I remember correctly one of the presets says something about locking the files after 5minutes
Indeed. The last preset is "SMB WORM. Files become read only in SMB after 5 minutes".

Perhaps the OP should change the purpose in the GUI to No Purpose.

Nicolas68

Dabbler
Hello all

thanks for your support

I may have found a beginning of explaination

I have seen my old FreeNAS credentials in my windows account, I deleted them restarted the PC and got this

Capture d’écran 2021-01-08 084445.png

I reenter my credentials to access my TrueNAS and now it seems to work, might need some days to be sure it's reliable

but considering I put exactly my microsoft account credentials, shouldn't TrueNAS accept them without any login request? username, email and password are exactly what I set in my Windows10

Capture d’écran 2021-01-08 084920.png

To be honest I still feel unsure how to set it up exactly, maybe because I never have seen working as expected :)

Nicolas

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The "microsoft account" feature in the GUI uses the "username map" parameter. I've seen occasional erratic behavior with these maps and auth (never been able to reliably reproduce on demand). It's generally better not to use this feature if you can avoid it. If you can file a bug ticket (jira.ixsystems.com) about erratic behavior of "Microsoft" accounts, I'll see if I can rework things inside samba so that we better handle the MicrosoftAccount domain and maybe get rid of that checkbox entirely.

Nicolas68

Dabbler
Thank you
from what I see it was a problem related to the microsoft account
I consider it as solved