SOLVED out of nowhere, nothing sees freenas nor does it see anything

High Voltage

Explorer
so, out of freaking nowhere, after FINALLY getting things back up and running, so I thought, I am no longer able to connect at all either to nor from my freenas system, FINALLY got the hba adapter replaced, and want so badly to either confirm or deny the life of my data that WAS on it prior to all this crap that has happened since its last successful running config, and now, for some reason I cannot figure out, I am physically unable to touch the thing, nor am I able to get the system to touch anything else either.

I have confirmed I"M NOT running a realtek chipset MANY times, and confirmed even now twice from two sources that it is indeed not realtek, but that helps me literally none.

so, I cannot, no mater how I wire this thing up for confirmation, get anything to access or be accessed, when I ping from the shell, I always no mater what I do, get no route to host errors, even with the static route set up appropriately, and I'm at a total loss here.

my local network, passed through pfsense, which I have set up to work as a switch AND configured the firewall to pass traffic, will not do anything, freenas cant see it, or anything, and nothing on my same lan, that freenas is plugged directly into, cant see it either.

what the heck is going on here? I am at a total loss, and even had two buddies of mine try and help me trouble-shoot this and nothing has helped at all.

if you need any additional info, please ask me, cause I'm done trying to figure this out by myself, I'm about to rip my hair out literally.

http://findhard.ru/en/motherboards/model?id=963&m=tyan-s7012-s7012gm4nr
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813151195

High Voltage

Explorer
total system specs in case this is helpful: 4u server chassis, rosewill chassis from newegg
motherboard links are in above post
cpus: dual xeon x5660s (1366 socket)
80 gigabytes of ddr3 ecc 2400Mhz ram
hard drive array in zfs pool of 18? 3tb sata drives 7.2k rpm all in a large pool of mirrored vdev's
single 1 port ethernet card as an attempted point to see if the networking was the issue here or not (helped none)
2x dual port 10gb chelsio fiber cards
sas hba IT mode, I THINK lsi8i if I remember right?
sas expander, hp 3g expander card 24 port
2x mini-sata 16 gig solid state drives being mirrored for the freenas boot drives

and I think thats it.

otpi

Contributor
To little information. How is your network configured? Is your nas in a dmz or on lan side of pfsense? Does your nas receive an IP from pfsense? Have you tried a direct connection to your nas?

High Voltage

Explorer
Lan side through 12 port eth bridge on pfsense, from my lan dell power connect switch, and even just tried loading the web interface directly from one of my desktops over one of the 10g fiber connections and nothing loaded .

Freenas is always supposed to be staticly assigned up addressing for user with network drive mapping over cifs shares.

Networking is as follows: home router 192.169.1.1 via cable modem, Poe or wifi bridge to pfsense depending on which one decides to play nice, regardles of choice both get assigned via dhcp from the home router and pfsense then staticly assigns my ip scheme of 192.168.10.x/24

And yes, I have even at one point I believe directly plugged one of my systems eth ports directly into my main desktops port using one of its dual lan ports, however this im not 100% positive of so to be extra sure I'll try good again tonight just to be safe

High Voltage

Explorer
Mind you freenas says the web config can be loaded by any of these connection, and won't load/ connect.

Home default gateway out to the net is 192.168.1.1 aaaaaand my pfsense gateway that successfully maps to that is 192.168.10.1

melloa

Wizard
so, out of freaking nowhere, after FINALLY getting things back up and running

In other words, you had a system meltdown and it was working before. As you've been changing configuration, I assume, to get it to work, the safest would be reseting your network and start with a DHCP config on your on-board NIC, from the console.

After that, check what the console says the server IP is.

If you are not getting an IP, drop to the shell and read dmesg to see what's going on during boot. Specifically look for your interfaces, so see if they are been recognized. For instance, if they are Intel:

Code:
root@nas[/mnt/raid/cifs]# dmesg | grep Intel
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz (2300.05-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x206d7  Family=0x6  Model=0x2d  Stepping=7
isci0: <Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SAS Controller (SATA mode)> port 0x7000-0x70ff mem 0xde47c000-0xde47ffff,0xde000000-0xde3fffff irq 16 at device 0.0 numa-domain 0 on pci5
ehci0: <Intel Patsburg USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xdf823000-0xdf8233ff irq 16 at device 26.0 numa-domain 0 on pci0
igb0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 2.5.3-k> port 0x6060-0x607f mem 0xdf760000-0xdf77ffff,0xdf78c000-0xdf78ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 numa-domain 0 on pci6
igb1: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 2.5.3-k> port 0x6040-0x605f mem 0xdf740000-0xdf75ffff,0xdf788000-0xdf78bfff irq 17 at device 0.1 numa-domain 0 on pci6
igb2: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 2.5.3-k> port 0x6020-0x603f mem 0xdf720000-0xdf73ffff,0xdf784000-0xdf787fff irq 18 at device 0.2 numa-domain 0 on pci6
igb3: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 2.5.3-k> port 0x6000-0x601f mem 0xdf700000-0xdf71ffff,0xdf780000-0xdf783fff irq 19 at device 0.3 numa-domain 0 on pci6
ehci1: <Intel Patsburg USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xdf822000-0xdf8223ff irq 23 at device 29.0 numa-domain 0 on pci0
ahci0: <Intel Patsburg AHCI SATA controller> port 0x9050-0x9057,0x9040-0x9043,0x9030-0x9037,0x9020-0x9023,0x9000-0x901f mem 0xdf821000-0xdf8217ff irq 18 at device 31.2 numa-domain 0 on pci0
ichwd0: <Intel Patsburg watchdog timer> on isa0
ugen1.1: <Intel EHCI root HUB> at usbus1
ugen0.1: <Intel EHCI root HUB> at usbus0
uhub0: <Intel EHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus1
uhub1: <Intel EHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus0

If they are been activated:

Code:
root@nas[/mnt/raid/cifs]# dmesg | grep 'changed to UP'
igb0: link state changed to UP
igb1: link state changed to UP
igb2: link state changed to UP
igb3: link state changed to UP
cxgb0: link state changed to UP

All with the assumption that your router/switch is working, as you seem to have other boxes connected.

Other might/will provide other steps for sure, but start here.

Good luck.

kdragon75

Wizard
Ethernet bridges in FreeBSD (pfSense) perform terrible and can cause issues. I would STRONGLY recomnd buying a proper switch...

High Voltage

Explorer
Okay so on both of those replies note I can confirm already from memory that the ethernet addresses do show that for example I-20 status changed to UPS does happen every single time that the system boot so it definitely is recognizing and activating the ethernet ports on my freenas motherboard side as for the pfSense switching buy a Bridgeport I know it performs terrible I am aware of this I was simply doing that to see if something was wrong with my actual Dell powerconnect switch which I would heavily prefer to use any day of the week to begin with so I have also already tried connecting it so I had to Dell powerconnect switch and buy pfSense is Bridge teeth or net switch system neither of them are allowing me to successfully connect however I have tried both of those and can confirm that the ethernet cords are indeed being recognized and activated so, also driving to work this is voice to text if anything's odds well that's why

High Voltage

Explorer
On a side note however I did have a friend trying to help me with the IP addressing and we were able to figure out that apparently only one of the two ethernet ports that somehow or currently working right now which is an oddity in and of itself given that all of the ethernet chips are activated in BIOS but yet apparently only two of the four are actually physically connecting of the two that are actually working right now only one of them is successfully getting an IP address when I checked that last night oh, as for the additional ethernet card I added for testing purposes no matter what I do or where I plug that thing in on opposite sides to my freenas device see freenas device constantly throws Watchdog error timed out resetting no matter what I do with that and I'm pretty sure not positive but pretty sure that that one is also an Intel ethernet card

High Voltage

Explorer
One last final additional piece of information I have also told freenas on either two or three different occasions now out of exasperation to reset to factory default or whatever the reset command is from the freenas text GUI and I still can't seem to get things configured properly in the matter what I do nor with any combination of static route foror default routesdefault route

High Voltage

Explorer
Given that my ZFS storage pool is not being automatically imported anymore and I can't seem to get anything to load properly I'm almost wondering at this point if something somehow got royally corrupted at some point somehow and whether or not it would just be more advisable instead of troubleshooting, to just potentially reinstall freenas brand new since I can't get it to connect anyway and I need to be able to connect to the web GUI in order to actually see if my volume is you know still exists and just needs to be ready in ported so I'm almost wondering if it would be more advantageous to just reinstall and then report back after that but I don't know so anybody care to weigh in on this thought process?

melloa

Wizard
if it would be more advantageous to just reinstall and then report back after that but I don't know so anybody care to weigh in on this thought process?

My US$ 0.02? Fix your network first. When that's done, people can help you troubleshoot your pool. There is no point in getting to that if you can't even access it from your network.

One question wasn't asked: Do you have a saved config from before the meltdown?

High Voltage

Explorer
Sadly no I do not have a saved config file, and honestly, I was half wondering if my network config on freenas itself was possibly corrupted, this my primary reasoning for asking about reinstalling it, given every other device on my pfsense network works fine, which Is part of my severe confusion for what's needing fixed at this point

melloa

Wizard
this my primary reasoning for asking about reinstalling it,

Look ... re-install is possible and won't impact your data, as long as you don't mess with the existing pool.

After re-install you will need to re-create all users and config all options that you might need to change (i.e. mail servers, e-mails for root, etc).

After all is done you can import the volume, re-create the shares, etc.

Make sure you are installing the same version you were running before, to don't have any importing issues due to ZFS versions' differences.

High Voltage

Explorer
Is there any possible issue installing a newer version of freenas for the off chance of if I get the wrong version by sheer dumb luck?? Or is it possibly only an issue if I use an older version, or is it bad regardless, my bets on the last one but figured I'd ask, just in case, to cover my bases

otpi

Contributor
People with more knowledge than me have chimed in. Anyway, I second fixing network first. Start as simple as possible. Remove anything that is not needed and work from there. My setup is dead simple: pfsense - dumb switch - nas (onboard nic).

Make sure you have keys available if you have used encryption.

High Voltage

Explorer
Sounds good, tore down the wiring last night to try and make things more efficient in cooling and wiring before going back to troubleshooting the networking, read somewhere that someone with my board had networking issues due to the chipset having overheating issues, ....so I installed a cooling fan directly to the heatsink and will go from there just in case. Thank you everyone chiming I in on this, thank you all and especially a huge thank you to this entire community. Your all a huge reason why I went with and stick with freenas even against suggestions from friends of mine in IT. thank you all so much

kdragon75

Wizard
Is there any possible issue installing a newer version of freenas for the off chance of if I get the wrong version by sheer dumb luck?? Or is it possibly only an issue if I use an older version, or is it bad regardless, my bets on the last one but figured I'd ask, just in case, to cover my bases
It should not matter if you install a newer version of FreeNAS but with that said, don't. Check the version you have and download the same from https://download.freenas.org
No luck involved...