OSX Server to Freenas 8 Rsync SSH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there guys, I was really hoping you could help me out.

At work, we have an OSX Server acting as a file server to windows and OSX machines. The OSX has a mirrored 2 x 1TB external USB as a time machine target.

I have a HP N40L 2GB FreeNAS-8.0.4-BETA2-x64 (10134) , with 2 striped mirrors of 2 x 750GB disks, and the OS on the internal USB.

I've been trying at it for weeks, but every guide I find is not for OSX and Freenas, and I'm losing my mind at it.

What I would like to do, is use the N40L as an offsite backup server. Dream scenario is to have the N40L set up to PULL from an rsync module on the OSX server over SSH over the internet, and save it to a dataset. This dataset is also set up with a read only samba share for quick access to crucial files in the event of a catastrophe at the main office.

Now I have a technical background in telecommunications and electronics, but when it comes to CLI, public keys, permissions etc I'm lost.

I was really hoping for someone to show me how to set this up.

Cheers

louisk

Patron
If you're going to use an rsync module, you should ensure all communication between sites is encrypted (IPSec) or your data will go across plaintext (very bad).

That said, as long as the 2 devices can talk to each other, there should be much to this.

You might start here: http://uucode.com/blog/2008/11/11/rsync-server-on-mac-os-x/

I haven't actually setup rsync as a server process on osx, but that looks like a reasonable start.

Status
Not open for further replies.