OpenVPN in jail on FreeNAS 9.3. Plugin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colly222

Dabbler
Hi all,

So I'm really new to this so am probably way out of my depth. Got a HP Proliant microserver, installed FreeNAS 9.3 and setup plex, couchpotato and transmission. All good.

Read that I really should put my transmission traffic behind a VPN. Found a few guides for older version of FreeNAS and spent hours trying to work it out but am utterly confused. So, can anyone provide complete idiot proof instructions for me?

Is there a plugin that I can upload and use?

Reason I am looking to just put the Transmission use behind the VPN is I assume it doesn't make sense to put plex (shared with family) behind it.

Appreciate any help anyone can give......I'm really new.

THanks

Colly

Krowvin

Explorer
I too would be interested in an updated 9.3 guide on the install of OpenVPN. The previous guides have ended up failing at some point or another for me.

Colly222

Dabbler
Hi Krowvin,

I'm a complete newbie to this so a real guide would be great. That said, I've made mine work so let me know if you want me to say what I did. I really wouldn't follow it as I'm sure I've done something ridiculous due to my lack of knowledge but it seems to work. I've completely just ripped off helpful posts from other people so will not take any credit for the good bits of this - just the bad.

I'll post if you want

What I have working (as far as I can tell):
FreeNAS 9.3
Plex - sharing my files with the house and brother in another city. Normal, no VPN
Transmission linked to couch potato - I've installed OpenVPN in the transmission jail and it shows as a TorGuard ip address (VPN provider) in another country.
Sabnzbd linked to Sickbeard - Again, OpenVpn installed in the jail, showing a further different IP address.

When the VPN provider's servers break, or change IP address(think that's what happens), transmission/Sabnzbd appear to break which is accidental but what I wanted to happen. Stopping then starting OpenVPN in the jail seems to make it work again. A pain, but good to know it doesn't reroute to my ISP ip range.

(I'm just trying to help and really don't want to give advice as I'm clueless so no-one rip me too hard)

As soon as someone smart writes an idiots guide I'll happily change my setup

Colly

Krowvin

Explorer
Hi Krowvin,

I'm a complete newbie to this so a real guide would be great. That said, I've made mine work so let me know if you want me to say what I did. I really wouldn't follow it as I'm sure I've done something ridiculous due to my lack of knowledge but it seems to work. I've completely just ripped off helpful posts from other people so will not take any credit for the good bits of this - just the bad.

I'll post if you want

What I have working (as far as I can tell):
FreeNAS 9.3
Plex - sharing my files with the house and brother in another city. Normal, no VPN
Transmission linked to couch potato - I've installed OpenVPN in the transmission jail and it shows as a TorGuard ip address (VPN provider) in another country.
Sabnzbd linked to Sickbeard - Again, OpenVpn installed in the jail, showing a further different IP address.

When the VPN provider's servers break, or change IP address(think that's what happens), transmission/Sabnzbd appear to break which is accidental but what I wanted to happen. Stopping then starting OpenVPN in the jail seems to make it work again. A pain, but good to know it doesn't reroute to my ISP ip range.

Colly
I suppose my situation is slightly different. I wouldn't mind a guide on how to set up the VPN client, which Jafrey posted a link to. I'm looking to create a VPN server in a jail so that I can connect to all my jails at home through my phone or laptop remotely. I've been using Team Viewer until I can find a solution. I have attempted several guides for older firmware versions, but haven't had any luck connecting. I'll most likely end up starting a new thread. I don't want to hijack this one. Assuming I have this all correct in my head.

Estropelic

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.