One volume went offline while deleting another volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesoultanian

Dabbler
I was doing some testing and created Test_Volume. I then decided to scrub Test_Volume, but shortly after that decided to delete Test_Volume. When I deleted Test_Volume it gave me the usual warnings and I accepted - the strange part is that when it deleted Test_Volume, I noticed that the other volume that hosts my Hyper-V VMs (on the same FreeNAS box) went offline and my VMs all failed. I looked at the FreeNAS logs and found this around the time that my VM volume went down:

Code:
Aug 16 11:05:12 FMTSAN1 alert.py: [system.alert:313] Alert module '<freenasUI.system.alert.VolumeStatusAlert object at 0x814585290>' failed: database is locked

Is the above error because I didn't let the scrub complete or cancel it first? Would the failure of my other volume be related to the above error?

If it's due to the scrub and that was just a really stupid thing to do, I can accept that as I'll know what caused it. I kinda made the assumption that FreeNAS should be smart enough to handle all processes related to a volume and make sure they're handled gracefully, but if not, then at least I know to avoid doing what I did. My ultimate concern is that I want to feel confident creating and deleting volumes on a production system without it taking down all my volumes.

Btw, last night I was creating/testing volumes on the same system without issue, so my guess is that it's linked to the scrub, but I just want to confirm that.

Thanks!
Mike

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've never heard this one before and I think you should report this as a bug to see if the devs can figure it out. If this is related to a scrub then I would expect them to force a scrub to stop before proceeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.