One interface for email, one for iSCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julianh

Dabbler
Hi All,

I have FreeNas 8.3.1, althoug if needd I'll update it, it was connected to my main switch, and workes fine. I then added a seperate small switch to isolate / seperate the iSCSI traffic from the rest of the network. All works fine, but I don't get the emails I wanted, as it's now isolated. So I want to add another ethernet port, there's enought portes in the server, so that connects on to the main switch so the email gets to me.

The problem is when I moved to the small seperated switch, I didn't change the IP addresses, as it would have been not only the Freeas, but the iSCSI "clients" I'd have to change as well.

As I don't want any "disk" traffic over the new port, can I just add another port for the emails. and connect it to th emain switch. It will be on the same subnet range though.

The problem is there is an indirect link between the iSCSI clients and the main switch. In effect I want to ensure only the email traffic flows over this "new" port.

Can this be done?

Thanks

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
It will be on the same subnet range though.
I was going to say "yes" until you mentioned this. Freenas doesn't support 2 NICs on the same subnet.

Julianh

Dabbler
Thanks for that, not thet aswer I wanted though. I suppose I could always add another IP on another subnet to the mail server, then add anotehr Ip to Freenas. Would that be ok?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Thanks for that, not thet aswer I wanted though. I suppose I could always add another IP on another subnet to the mail server, then add anotehr Ip to Freenas. Would that be ok?
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. And I'm concerned by the volume of mail you are sending that it impacts iSCSI.

If anything, I'd create a separate subnet for the iSCSI traffic and have the main freenas interface (for web mgmt and email) on your main subnet.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Status
Not open for further replies.