Old distros of PC-BSD

i4cy

Cadet
I am specifically looking for an old PC-BSD 1.5.1 ISO files "PCBSD1.5.1-x86-CD1.iso" and "PCBSD1.5.1-x86-CD2.iso".

But in general any PC-BSD distributions prior to v9.0 seem to be no longer available for download. All external download links that once pointed to pcbsd.org download files now redirect to the current site truenas.com homepage. TrueNAS is based on TrueOS and its predecessor PC-BSD, but appears to have no archive for old version distributions.

Does anyone know of a live URL from where I can get this file?

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

Contributor

i4cy

Cadet
Google harder!
http://ftp.ec-m.fr/pub/iso/FreeBSD/PCBSD1.5.1-x86-CD1.iso appears to exist and a download started.
Could only find CD2:
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for replying. After posting this thread I did also come across this French FTP site as you have indicated, but there's no CD2 there. OK CD1 is all that's required to install PC-BSD, but it would be nice to also have CD2 which contains additional applications that work out the box.

Having to rely on an ever decreasing amount of hit or miss mirrors via google searches is really not a reliable long term solution. Is there any particular reason why TrueNAS are no longer interested in hosting these archived files?

Guy

i4cy

Cadet
It appears TrueNAS are just not interested anymore in hosting copies of discontinued versions PC-BSD or TrueOS which were originally available. TrueNAS maybe a wonderful storage product, but it will not run on older desktop hardware, when PC-BSD or TrueOS worked just fine.

Yes it may be possible to stumble across a copy through some means such as torrent, if you’re lucky to find a seeder. In general it appears 15 years’ worth of successful BSD distributions have now been lost forever.