Offsite backup Options?

Dave Hob

Contributor
Hi

I was just curious, what was mostly used to backup your truenas pool for offsite options?

I tried to make S3 Glacier work, but I guess it doesn't work (S3 standard did work, but seems too expensive).

I think I came across the Backblaze B2 option.

Thank you!

Dave Hob

Contributor
bump on this

I guess my question is what are the most popular offsite backup practices for Truenas users for storage between 1 to 2 TB

Thank you

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I went for OneDrive as part of Office 365. There are deals on Amazon quite regularly and I paid 52 Euros for one year. This gives me six accounts with 1 TB each. And the setup worked like a charm with FreeNAS 11.3U5 here. The only challenge is my upload speed :eek:

GBillR

Contributor
I use both S3 and B2 for different datasets... S3 has served me well and supports server-side encryption. Last I checked, that was the only thing holding me back from moving all my backups to B2, but looking now, I see that the 11.3U5 GUI gives me the option to encrypt prior to transfer... I do not recall seeing that feature before.

As for cost, I have about 2 TB on B2 and it runs me about $10/month. My S3 bucket size is about 570 GB and it runs me about $14/month.

Given what I just uncovered, I may consolidate my offsite backup to B2. I use no other AWS services beyond S3, so not sure I even need an account there anymore... so long as I am able to encrypt my backups prior to sending to B2...