Offline Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacopx

Patron
Buongiorno,
i have 2 pool, one RAIZ-Z2 and one MIRRORED, in the first pool i have around 500TB that i want to backup offline and from the second one all data that are around 3TB... The amount of data to backup around 4TB.

My answer: (I have an unused drive of 4TB)
1) Which is the best way to do the backup?
2) How can i made the backup of only some dataset?

I have try sending to the offline drive my snapshot just made, is working and it's fast but i can't made an incremental backup, i need to replace everything... Someone have a better idea? :)

Robert Smith

Patron
Only one one dataset is backed up by default, unless you use recursive options on both snapshots and replication.

In latter case, child datasets are included.

MtK

Patron
Buongiorno,
i have 2 pool, one RAIZ-Z2 and one MIRRORED, in the first pool i have around 500TB that i want to backup offline and from the second one all data that are around 3TB... The amount of data to backup around 4TB.

My answer: (I have an unused drive of 4TB)
1) Which is the best way to do the backup?
2) How can i made the backup of only some dataset?

I have try sending to the offline drive my snapshot just made, is working and it's fast but i can't made an incremental backup, i need to replace everything... Someone have a better idea? :)
You do mean 500Gb, right?
Other the unused 4Tb disk won't help much for backing up 500Tb...

(And I assume those are your questions not you answer)

Jacopx

Patron
You do mean 500Gb, right?
Other the unused 4Tb disk won't help much for backing up 500Tb...

(And I assume those are your questions not you answer)

Yes, of course, sorry!

Jacopx

Patron

nojohnny101

Wizard
if i am understanding you correctly and what you want to to do, @Robert Smith has the simplest method for accomplishing what you want, snapshots and replication.

Just install the 4tb spare drive internally, create a new zpool with a single vdev that contains a single dataset, setup a periodic snapshot of the dataset you want to "backup" (choose if you want it recursive) and then create a replication task that is "push" from the dataset you want to backup to the "pull" of the 4tb drive.

Jacopx

Patron
if i am understanding you correctly and what you want to to do, @Robert Smith has the simplest method for accomplishing what you want, snapshots and replication.

Just install the 4tb spare drive internally, create a new zpool with a single vdev that contains a single dataset, setup a periodic snapshot of the dataset you want to "backup" (choose if you want it recursive) and then create a replication task that is "push" from the dataset you want to backup to the "pull" of the 4tb drive.

I have read the guide, thanks a lot! Is what I need [emoji6]

Status
Not open for further replies.