Off Site Backup / Replication 2x Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crm

Dabbler
Hi all,

Just joined the forum and hopeful that someone can help me out.

I have 2 FreeNas servers practically identical in spec and I would like to put one of them in a remote site for contingency, Security against fire / theft etc and I am looking for the best solution to have FreeNas box A perform a daily backup (preferably incremental / differential to FreeNas box B. I have accepted a loss of 1 day's data as hopefully max hence why I would want to do this once a day.

Is this straight forward / Does anyone know the best solution to carry this out? I have looked through most of the pages and cannot really find anything that suits me needs.

Both boxes are on 9.3 Freenas and both have a 100m/b internet connection

Thanks

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Look at replication. Just configure the SSH connection to work between the two boxes, setup a snapshot schedule and then setup replication from your primary to the secondary and you will have an up to date replica.

Crm

Dabbler
Hi ,

Thanks for your very quick reply, Will this be a real time replica? If it is this would be good but the drawback for me would be that sometimes big files are written in and they would utilize the internet connection at times when other people would want to use it,

Or do you mean like a daily replication schedule / Snapshot schedule? Is there a guide somewhere on this at all?

I suppose linking SSH would be a case of picking a custom port to run SSH on and making it available on both routers to allow traffic to go to and from it?

Many thanks for your help

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The replication task will attempt to copy the snapshot state of the Dataset that you choose. So you would create your snapshot schedule, and then create a replication task. Part of setting up the replication task is choosing which hours to allow replication to operate, so if you are worried about interrupting daytime usage, you could only allow it to happen evening/overnight.

There is a link to the manual at the top of every page on the forum. There are more explanations available there.

If possible, setting up a couple VM's to play around with is a good way to learn as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.