NVMe-oF support planned?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Want to send some specific fio commands (or any other tools/commands)? There are obviously lots of variables at play. The VM has 8GB of RAM..

Nothing specific... just a dataset/zvol size of 25GB should be enough to see the expected effect.

The numbers come out the same with the larger dataset. I misspoke earlier though, this particular vm only has a single drive comprising the entirety of the pool, not 3.

I should also note, the tests have been ran from my laptop as the client over wifi both local to my homelab network and also over WAN/VPN (never comparing numbers from the different scenarios obviously). In both scenarios the relative numbers come out the same. Let me know if you have any questions or more specific tests you'd like ran.

Glowtape

Dabbler
That reads like RTT latency is throwing off iSCSI performance, which NVMe-oF is able to mitigate better?

OK so I've configured a VM I use for CI (in the same proxmox/network as the storage VM) with the necessary bits to act as an nvmeof client (ubuntu 20.04). I've reran the tests locally there and the random read test is a little under 2x delta (vs over 2x) and the random rw test numbers are only slightly higher with nvmeof than iscsi (significant drop in the delta).

This is all on very basic networking equipment without jumbo frames or optimizations commonly seen for a san.

When I get another free moment I'll try the test again with my laptop on a wired connection and report results.