Nvidia GTX760 GPU Passthrough to Windows 10 VM (Error Code 43 in Device Manager)

zubo100

Dabbler
Hi everyone!

I tried looking on all possible threads to find a manual, or some sort of TODO list, but did not manage to find one were this was dicsussed.
I am completely new to TrueNAS Scale (comming from Synology), and I am trying to install a Windows 10 VM in truenas Scale with an Nvidia GT 760 used for passthrough. My currently installed version:
1665763299819.png

The GPU is set as isolated in the options:
1665763177670.png

The GPU is then selected in the options of the VM:
1665763379637.png

I have tried several options, "Hide from MSR" - checked/unchecked, isolating the GPU and not isolating, adding the GPU manually through devices as PCI passthrough device. The GPU itself is recognised in the Windows VM, but the driver is not loaded. I get the (infamous) Error Code 43.

I wanted to check the driver version inside on TrueNAS, butI can not get the output from nvidia-smi. The result:
"NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver".
1665763988046.png

Can anyone give me any advice, or pointers or help me out? Do I need to manually install the drivers? I found a few older posts that are mentioning blacklisting the GPU, manually editing GRUB, and others, but I am not sure if they are still relevant for my current version of TrueNAS scale, or not. Also in some threads the discussed procedures required command that do not seem to be supported anymore.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Nvidia blacklist certain GPU's for use in a VM. You'll have to get a GTX 1xxx series or newer if you want to pass one through to a VM.

whodat

Dabbler
@zubo100 I also tried for a long time to get my GTX 760 working, with the same results as you.

I then logged a support ticket with iX Systems, and was told it is unsupported on TrueNAS SCALE:

I bought a 2nd hand GTX 1660 instead which works perfectly (especially after applying the keylase patch to unlock the concurrent stream limit)

zubo100

Dabbler
Thanks for the advice guys. I just bought a 2nd hand RX 5700 XT, so hopefully that will work better... (Even though I am affraid that my 500W PSU will not be enough for the configuration that I have :D )