Not sure of a title..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

Explorer
Hey..Again,
So! I'm really excited that my NAS system is up and going, and now, I'd like to expand on it, and ask something that I'm not sure is remotely possible...
any how, here's the dilemma..
I would like to have my Girlfriend (currently lives 12 hours away) be able to connect and use the NAS as a place to put movies/music...is this do-able using the external ip and port (e.g xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx:22022) and if so, can she use something like WinSCP or FileZilla to just drag and drop?

Thanks
Brent

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
yes. but you will have to tell here where she can upload files. Your mount point will be /mnt/nameofvolume
using winscp or filezilla (SFTP), just have her select the folder she needs to upload to.

You do understand that this way isn't exactly 'user-friendly' right?

Brent

Explorer
I'd be guessing so, but, care to expand on making it, 'user-friendly'?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'd be guessing so, but, care to expand on making it, 'user-friendly'?

Well, if I told my wife that in order for her to backup her files she would need to open a program (WinSCP or FileZilla), connect to my server, browse to the correct path, and upload to the right directory....she would tell me to go F myself.

If you don't make it easy for the end user, the end user will not use it.
FreeNAS themselves have made it easy for you to setup and configure a NAS for your network, now as the NAS admin it is your job to make it easy for those using your NAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you don't make it easy for the end user, the end user will not use it.
FreeNAS themselves have made it easy for you to setup and configure a NAS for your network, now as the NAS admin it is your job to make it easy for those using your NAS.

/agree 100%

Brent

Explorer
hmmm I guess you're correct, So, let me ask, what can be used to make it user friendly

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Honestly, look into setting up an OwnCloud jail, or have the 2 of you get connected on Copy
shameless plug for an extra 5gb for each of us: https://copy.com?r=1ZAXSb
once on something like Copy, you could handle all the file backups on your end, via scripts or point your Copy folder to the NAS.

Even better would be bittorrent sync. you have a folder the 2 of you share and on your end the shared folder would actually be on the NAS. once the client on her side is configured to sync the important stuff, she doesnt have to worry about it any more. set it and forget it. then you have a copy of all that stuff automatically backed up on the NAS.

Bittorrent Sync is probably the best option, but dont be afraid to set up an account on Copy and play around with it. Free cloud storage is nice for quick transfers and always available files (just dont put stuff you want to keep private on there without encrypting it first) ;)

Brent

Explorer
I've actually been looking at OwnCloud, and following a guide that seems to be for 8.x, I can't seem to find a guide for 9.x, i'll take a look into the link you osted there
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.