Not so easy replace failing drive

veldthui

Dabbler
Started getting errors on one of my WD Black 1TB drives so as I had a spare (supposedly new) Segate drive sitting around, decide to replace it straight away. I am sure I had done before with no issues however this one was not to be.
I have a Dell R730XD with a flashed 710P Perc card to HBA. I put the failed drive offline, pulled it out and installed the new drive and hit replace drive and there was nothing there to replace it with. After trying for a while I went to the iDRAC and saw that the new drive was showing as Foreign rather than the Non-Raid as it should.
Only way I could get it to Non-Raid was to reboot and go into the BIOS mode and clear the drive (took 5 hours to clear it). Then it was Non-Raid and I could boot up TrueNAS and replace the drive.

Any ideas on how I could get the drive to Non-Raid faster? I am sure my first failed drive (long time ago) worked fine. It is almost as though the disk is formatted in a non-standard block size or something. I have two more of these disks and don't really want to go through the hassle again. Should be able to change from Raid to Non-Raid through the iDRAC but nothing this time.

Redcoat

MVP
Not sure your 710P is an HBA.

It can be. From https://fohdeesha.com/docs/perc.html

H310/H710/H710P/H810 Mini & Full Size IT Crossflashing​

This guide allows you to crossflash 12th gen Dell Mini Mono & full size cards to LSI IT firmware. Mini Mono refers to the small models that fit in the dedicated "storage slot" on Dell servers. Because iDRAC checks the PCI vendor values of cards in this slot before allowing the server to boot, the generic full-size PERC crossflashing guides do not apply. This guide however solves that issue. Technical explanation for those curious. The following cards are supported:

• H310 Mini Mono
  • H310 Full Size
  • H710 Mini Mono
  • H710P Mini Mono
  • H710 Full Size
  • H710P Full Size
  • H810 Full Size

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP

Davvo

MVP
It can be. From https://fohdeesha.com/docs/perc.html

H310/H710/H710P/H810 Mini & Full Size IT Crossflashing​

This guide allows you to crossflash 12th gen Dell Mini Mono & full size cards to LSI IT firmware. Mini Mono refers to the small models that fit in the dedicated "storage slot" on Dell servers. Because iDRAC checks the PCI vendor values of cards in this slot before allowing the server to boot, the generic full-size PERC crossflashing guides do not apply. This guide however solves that issue. Technical explanation for those curious. The following cards are supported:

• H310 Mini Mono
  • H310 Full Size
  • H710 Mini Mono
  • H710P Mini Mono
  • H710 Full Size
  • H710P Full Size
  • H810 Full Size
That's gold, thank you.

Agreed.

Redcoat

MVP
Does not tell me how to get it to see the drive as a Non-Raid drive instead of a Foreign drive. Like I said I am sure the last time I replaced a drive in it due to failing it was recognized straight away as Non-Raid and was visible to the OS.
Yes, I know it doesn't... but it might explain to you why you have "non-conventional experience" with your "HBA"?