Not-function WEB UI

Maer

Cadet
Hello,
i have a problem with my TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 running on HP microserver 5.gen (AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor, 16GB RAM) . For two years the server was running without any problem and now for the last month it has been behaving erratically.

When I enter its WEB UI in the browser, it is unavailable, but the server responds to ping, all services such as PLEX, qBittorrent are running, but samba sometimes works and crashes after about 20 hours of UI unavailability. I have SSH enabled as a service, and since I don't have the UI available, SSH is not available either. And when SSH is available, it does not start correctly, see screenshot.

Restarting the server will help, but the UI is available sometimes for 5 minutes and sometimes for 3 days.

I'm getting desperate now. I currently have no possibility to connect any console to the server, so I solve it by restarting, which is very bad.

1.PNG

Thanks for the advice.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I recommend that you run MemTest86 for a day or two, at least 5 full passes. If that passes then run a CPU Stress Test such as Prime95 for several hours, if not a full 24 hours. After 2 hours if it does not fail, you should be good in that area.

The power supply could be failing. And make sure ALL the fans are spinning (CPU/CASE/Power Supply/etc.).

And if the RAM or CPU tests fail, it still could be the power supply. Hopefully you have a few parts laying around, it sucks to purchase a part to troubleshoot with and find out that was not the issue.

Lets say all that passes, the next thing you could do is make sure you have a backup of your configuration, then reinstall TrueNAS and restore the configuration file.

Also check the drives SMART data for things like CRC Errors. You might have a bad data cable.

Good Luck.

Maer

Cadet
Hello, thank you for your response.

I also tried to replace the RAM memory and the error is repeated. I changed the power supply about half a year ago because the original one broke. I haven't tested the processor and I honestly have no idea how to do the tests you mentioned, I've never done it.

Personally, I believe that this is more of a system error than a HW error.

Because I can't explain why otherwise everything would work in the background, but system services like SMB and SSH with WEB UI are unavailable.

Davvo

MVP

joeschmuck

Old Man
I honestly have no idea how to do the tests you mentioned, I've never done it.
Google it. There is a lot of information out there. Memtest86+ has a website, grab the Free copy.

Davvo

MVP
It's just burning memtest86+ on a USB and booting from it, then it does everything by itself.

Maer

Cadet
Those tests mean physical access to the server, which I currently do not have as I wrote.

I paused the PLEX server and then everything runs as it should. The question is if this service does this when it continues to run after the UI crashes.

I'll try to update it, which the UI currently offers, and we'll see.

Otherwise, I tried restarting the network interfaces first.

Davvo

MVP

Maer

Cadet
Hello,

so updating my problem.

As I looked in the logs and in general, all the problems were caused by the non-updated PLEX server. CPU usage decreased after updating it.

WEB UI, SMB and SSH work all the time without any problems.

Thank you all for the advice, but as I suspected, the problem was in the SW.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.