Not detecting HDD inside vm on Windows Server 2019

nanodisk

Dabbler
I have TrueNAS running on a vm inside of windows server 2019. When I go to create a new pool, there are apparently no available drives.

The drives in question are 2 x 1tb WD. They have been fully formatted before going into the machine. Windows detects the drives perfectly fine, just not TrueNAS.

I could just be completely dumb thinking this is possible but thought I'd ask here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
How are you passing through the drives to the TrueNAS VM? Individual drive pass through won't work. You'll have to pass through a PCI HBA to host those drives.

nanodisk

Dabbler
How are you passing through the drives to the TrueNAS VM? Individual drive pass through won't work. You'll have to pass through a PCI HBA to host those drives.
Yep, individual drive pass through is what I was doing. I suspect if I do it the other way round (Windows server in a vm in TrueNAS) , I'll have the same issue?

Samuel Tai

Yep, individual drive pass through is what I was doing. I suspect if I do it the other way round (Windows server in a vm in TrueNAS) , I'll have the same issue?

No, you can create virtual disks for the Windows server VM. It's not possible to pass through whole disks in bhyve, the TrueNAS hypervisor, although you can pass through PCI controllers.

nanodisk

Dabbler
No, you can create virtual disks for the Windows server VM. It's not possible to pass through whole disks in bhyve, the TrueNAS hypervisor, although you can pass through PCI controllers.
I'm getting a little confused I'll be honest but from my understanding it goes something like this :

It's not possible to pass through whole disks from windows server to the TrueNAS vm.

But I can create virtual disks for Windows Server which would be on a vm running inside of TrueNAS?

Or is it the other way around lol

Thanks for the help btw

Samuel Tai

The former, not the latter.