Not a bug, but not exactly a feature request... BUT:

Is there any way to request a way for more information to be presented when a service fails to load? (Specifically, i apparently never set up an NFS share and was trying to figure out why, when trying to launch the NFS service, it would just prompt me with a "NFS Service failed to start" bubble, but no further information...

I know its REALLY REALLY dumb, but i spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong before i realized i set up SMB shares but never set up an NFS share... :)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It is a feature request and a reasonable "suggestion" to add to jira... it may get upvotes.

It's fair to say that bugs that cause non-operation or reliability issues will get higher priority.

We generally solve these issues with more wizards that automate a series of steps... but it doesn't catch every issue.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Is there any way to request a way for more information to be presented when a service fails to load? (Specifically, i apparently never set up an NFS share and was trying to figure out why, when trying to launch the NFS service, it would just prompt me with a "NFS Service failed to start" bubble, but no further information...

I know its REALLY REALLY dumb, but i spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong before i realized i set up SMB shares but never set up an NFS share... :)
knfsd doesn't start if the exports file doesn't exist. Generating an empty exports file to run a service that shouldn't be running is not generally useful. In case of smbd the hidden IPC$ share exists and may be of some use.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
This is a good suggestion, and I've put a feature request into the queue which lets us view individual service log files more easily from the UI. No ETA yet, but its on our radar now.

Cougie

Cadet
I second this feature request. I spent a good 3 days trying to figure out why the NFS service won't start and this thread was the only solution I found that worked for me. Had no idea you needed an NFS share created BEFORE the NFS service will even start.

And why do we "create" an SMB and NFS share separately?
Wouldn't you just 'create a share' and then select whether you want SMB or NFS enabled for this share?