NOOB -- trying to install FreeNAS -Stuck on Bootloop

leo9848

Cadet
Hi,

Tried searching for the answers in the forum; found few --tried to follow the steps but still having the issue.

System using is : Acer Aspire X1930 with Inter Pentium CPU 2.60Ghz, 2 Cores, 16GB RAM, 2 TB WD HDD for storage, and 32GB Scandisk USB for boot drive and have 1 other 16GB USB drive for installing.

checked the installation iso file with Hash- and is verified.
Currently, when trying to boot from the USB, it goes into bootloop. used 2 different usb drives; and also tried to create the bootable usb using Rufus and win32Image writer.

As shown below, it goes up to the line masks; and the system reboots.

FreeNASBootloop.jpeg

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Almost sounds like an issue with EFI booting on FreeBSD. Two things you can try:

1. Switch to legacy/BIOS boot mode in your bios settings
2. Try TrueNAS SCALE (Linux Based) to confirm if its a BSD specific issue - https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-scale/
I took a quick look at TrueNAS SCALE and it looks like an interesting project. Can it function in a private network where there is no internet access?
I have that where I work, several air-gaped networks that don't touch the rest of the world.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I took a quick look at TrueNAS SCALE and it looks like an interesting project. Can it function in a private network where there is no internet access?
I have that where I work, several air-gaped networks that don't touch the rest of the world.

Yep, it will run offline / air-gapped just fine, same as 12.0.

leo9848

Cadet
TrueNAS Bootloop.jpeg

Hi,

updated the bios,

Downloaded TrueNAS ; a different set of USBs and this is the error.
Changed the SATA controller to IDE.