noob: SMART results not in UI - replace System SSDs - HDD model science

dustmaster

Dabbler
Hi dear forum guys,
well I am kind of new to all this but I setup this TrueNAS 12.0 machine and it is kind of running :) It is kind of a standard thing on a Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F with a Broadcom/LSI 3008 IT controller and 8x6TB in RAIDz2 (see Signature). Already using it as SMB share and I got immense write speeds of up to 1000 MB/s and read speeds of which I am not so sure of yet (350-700MB/s), depending on the client and so on.

Anyways a few questions popped up - maybe you can reassure me - these are kind of tough to google:

1. Why don´t the SMART values show up in the UI? My tasks and manual tests via UI are running fine and checking via console/smartctl reveals all values. But none of those make it to the neat list - also I am concerned if alerts work based on SMART results.. I guess I´ll have to remove a drive to see if I receive the email!?

2. My two systems disk are kind of antique, one has roughly 35.000 hours, the other 60.000. So I think about removing those one by one and replacing with two Kingston 120GBs. I read about some people having done it that way. What do you think, is RAID1 rebuilding always a verified process and will it mind running on two different disks for a short time? I wouldn´t even mind losing the space above 40 GB. I could disconnect/export the pool and my config before I do it ..

3. expanding the pool / introducing hot spares: Well, as you know these drives are kind of expensive (Seagate ST6000NM0245) and it does not feel super buying 6TB drives for the current prize of 12 TB, etc. Seagate has some variations on this exact model available which are sometimes easier to get:
They differ slightly in specs, mainly 12Gb vs. 6Gb SAS fell into my eye. Is there any general advice you can give?

Thanks for your help and hope to receive some ideas!
DM

dustmaster

Dabbler
hmm - I mean ideas about one question would be really cool for a start!?
Especially the first one would be helpful right now..
THX!