Noob issue Can't install TrueNAS Scale Grub unknown filesystem

Exxaxion

Cadet
Hello, I just bought a new mini pc to make another NAS (I have already a Synology on a custom server)
So I tried to install TrueNAS Scale 23.10.2 but when I boot I have the issue :
Code:
Welcome to GRUB!
error: unknow filesystem.
grub rescue>

Tried several usb stick but no luck.

my spec : (https://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-bao-MN57-32GB-1TB-Mini-PC-523247.html)
Brand: T-bao
Model: MN57
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700U, 1.9-4.3Hz
GPU: AMD Radeon™ Graphics 8
RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200
HDD: 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

Thanks for any help.

chuck32

Guru
How did you prepare the USB stick?

Is this just for playing around and getting to know truenas? Because with 1 SSD installed, and I doubt there's room for (meaningful) expansion, you will not be able to do anything.
Unless you partition your drive in a way that would allow to only use a portion for the boot pool, which is not a supported configuration and not recommended, you will have no drive left to even create a pool consisting of a single disk.

Exxaxion

Cadet
There is another slot for a SSD but for now I to look around and for others options than my Synology.
I prepared the stick with Rufus.
That doesn't work like unRaid as the USB stick is used for the OS, then the drive for the pool?

chuck32

Guru
Try with balena etcher.

Well you could install truenas on an USB drive, however this is not recommended. You could try it but probably the drive will probably not last very long.

Exxaxion

Cadet
Thank you, with balenaEtcher I could install it, never had issue with Rufus before.

ukkelvin

Cadet
First post just note same issue as OP on a Supermicro X13SAE-F. Rufus is my usual, produces other bootable USB for the same board fine but just will not play with Truenas.