Non-optimal RAIDZ2 vs RAIDZ1 + Spare

Status
Not open for further replies.

IonutZ

Contributor
So I finally got all the hardware, threw it together, the FreeNAS GUI looks beautiful haha. I appreciate the craftsmanship of the application since I'm a business analyst working in IT on webapps.

I went to create my first ZFS volume and I found out that running RAIDZ2 is non-optimal. I have 5x 4TB drives. I was wondering why this is non-optimal? Also... would it be more optimal to create a RAIDZ1 with 4 drives and keep 1 as a spare? Which one of the two options is better to go with?

Would 6 drives run an optimal RAIDZ2 config?

Also, I vaguely recall you can add drives (Vdevs) to a zpool... from cyberjock's powerpoint presentation. In the event I go with the RAIDZ2 on 5 drives, will I be able to make it a 6 drive without any problems?

Thank you!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. From my presentation:

¨You cannot add more hard drives to a VDev once it is created.*

The underline is from the presentation.

IonutZ

Contributor
Ok, fair enough haha, I'll go over your guide again. Any input on which config to go with though?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
OOps... what gpsguy said. Go with 6 drive RAIDZ2. it's optimal, even though "optimal" doesn't mean much with compression. :P

IonutZ

Contributor
Done... gotta wait 3 more days now ._. lol in the mean time, I wanna play around with a 5x drive RAIDZ2. Is there a good way to benchmark read/write speed? Do what's written in the sticky right above this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.