no network interface in Ubuntu in bhyve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco Ertel

Dabbler
Hi,
I am now running 11.2 successfully. I created a VM and installed ubuntu 18.04 in. Network interface and HD are set to VirtIO (network attached to em0). During installation I am getting asked for the used network and I can see on my router that machine. Then removing the CD (iso) and reboot. Now ifconfig only shows me the loopback adapter and has no connection.
I also have some older VMs (but already on bhyve) and there networking is running (and I do not see any config differences).
What might be the reason?

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Marco

KrisBee

Wizard
Possible explanation is when you remove the cd device the slot number of the NIC device changes. So, what was for example "enp0s3" inside your linux vm during the install has changed to for example "enp0s4" on reboot. Just re-configure the Vm's networking.

Marco Ertel

Dabbler
Possible explanation is when you remove the cd device the slot number of the NIC device changes. So, what was for example "enp0s3" inside your linux vm during the install has changed to for example "enp0s4" on reboot. Just re-configure the Vm's networking.
I now created a new VM but before the first start I changed the order of the devices and gave the CD the highest number. Now I was able after installing ubuntu to delete the CD and the network is still working.
Thanks and Kind Regards,
Marco

Status
Not open for further replies.