No Active Volumes and no Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohave_steve

Dabbler
Hello All,

I am brand new to FreeNAS and am full of newbie questions. I appreciate you taking the time to give me a hand.

I have managed to get my first attempt up and running using a 2nd hand desktop PC and a single 2tb SATA drive. I created a single volume and enabled iSCSI.

I have successfully attached my two EXSi hosts and have been placing VM clones & snapshots on the volume. vCenter currently tells me that the volume is active and connected.

However.... When I look at the FreeNAS controll panel it tells me that there are no active volumes and no Unix shares.

What could I be doing wrong??

Thanks

Steve

Mohave_steve

Dabbler
Just to validate: I picked a VM clone that was in a powered down state and residing on the FreeNAS volume and powered it up. It powered up just fine. I did double check that it does reside on the FreeNAS volume.

Puzzled....

iscsi is not a share, so it will not be under shares.

the disk is being used as an extent and not as a volume.

everything seems right.

Mohave_steve

Dabbler
Shouldn't I be able to see that the volume exists?

As far as I can see in the FreeNAS console I have no disks or volumes. I cannot see any status information or any other indication that the storage exists.

it's not a volume. it's not a share. that's what that page displays.

if you'd like you can report it as a feature request to get a status page for iscsi device extents, but it's operating properly.

Mohave_steve

Dabbler
I am a bit lost..... I see disks. I create a "volume". I can see the datastore from my ESXI boxes.

But I cannot tell that it exists from the FreeNAS console? No status, configuration or health info whatsoever???

I must be missing something.

Mohave_steve

Dabbler
Ok,

I have found the selections for:

View All Extents
View All Target/Extents
View All trgets

I have clicked on each. I see three "Loading" messages that I left sit for almost two hours. No change so I shut down & restarted the FreeNAS box and tried again.
same result.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

Mohave_steve

Dabbler
Thanks for the replies.

If you have some confidence that it is an issue in FreeNAS and not in the connection between the keyboard & chair I will submit a bug report.

My first assumption was that I was simply not looking in the right place.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.