Contributor

Attachments

• NFS_4.2_Final.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 708

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
If FreeBSD gets it or Linux gets it, TrueNAS CORE/SCALE get it.

That is correct. Most likely to appear on SCALE first, since we use NFS-Ganesha there, and I believe it has some 4.2 support already, don't know offhand if its fully implemented:

Brezlord

Contributor
Hi Kris, thanks for the info.

Many but not all of the the NFS 4.2 features have been in the Linux kernel for a while and I am waiting for Scale to develop more before I trust it with my data. I'm going to install Scale on a spare server this weekend and start paying with it.

I fear BSD will continue to fall behind in features and driver support as time goes on.

ornias

Wizard
Hi Kris, thanks for the info.

Many but not all of the the NFS 4.2 features have been in the Linux kernel for a while and I am waiting for Scale to develop more before I trust it with my data. I'm going to install Scale on a spare server this weekend and start paying with it.

I fear BSD will continue to fall behind in features and driver support as time goes on.
I don't think NFS ganesha uses the kernel implementation of NFS, but not 100% sure...

Borja Marcos

Contributor
I don't think NFS ganesha uses the kernel implementation of NFS, but not 100% sure...
Just check the project description on Github :)

"NFS-Ganesha is an NFSv3,v4,v4.1 fileserver that runs in user mode on most UNIX/Linux systems. It also supports the 9p.2000L protocol."

Brezlord

Contributor
I'm most looking forward to Server Side Copy in 4.2 and pNFS.

cipri_tom

Cadet
I'm ressurecting an year old thread, but I hope for good reason ^^: do you know if the past year has brought any improvements? Is 4.2 supported now? Any pointers for how we can check ?

Thanks !

Good news. Looks like we'll get it de facto in TrueNAS Core 13:

I'm most looking forward to Server Side Copy in 4.2 and pNFS.
So was I, yet it doesn't appear to be working on TrueNAS Core 13.0-U1.1. :frown:

Even using the standard coreutils (version 9.1) "cp" command on a Linux client, trying to copy a large file (within the same NFS share) does a round-trip over the network.

This is the output of "nfsstat -m" from my client:
Code:
/mnt/nfs from 192.168.1.100:/mnt/test-pool/playground
 Flags: rw,relatime,vers=4.2,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,clientaddr=192.168.1.20,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.1.100

The "mount" command I issued for this test:
Code:
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.100:/mnt/test-pool/playground /mnt/nfs/

The dataset exists on an SSD-only pool used for such tests.

Is this a known issue with NFS v4.2 on a FreeBSD server supplying Linux clients? Perhaps an issue with ZFS + FreeBSD + NFS v4.2?

UPDATE: Is this because "server-side copy support for NFS 4.2" requires an underlying filesystem that also supports reflink copies? And because ZFS does not support reflink copies, we cannot leverage NFS's "server-side copy" feature even if both the client and server are using NFS 4.2? :oops:

UPDATE 2: For this particular issue, I created a new thread:

Last edited: