NFS share RO/RW to select clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

oni.kage

Cadet
I just did my first FreeNAS build after coming from a ZFS on Linux-based NAS. I'm finding some things, specifically with sharing, to be really wonky and not work as I would expect.

For example, I am trying to mimic this export from my Linux machine:

/mnt/mypool/share host1.mydomain.com(rw,sync,no_subtree_check) host2.mydomain.com(ro,sync,no_subtree_check)

One share, available to only two hosts, one RW and the other RO. The GUI is not letting me do this configuration and I can't figure out why. I created a share for /mnt/mypool/share and exported to the first host with RW, but when I create another share for the same dir and export it to the RO host, it tells me that I can't export this share to the same network. I never selected a network because I am exporting the share specifically to hostnames.

Any advice?

oni.kage

Cadet
Have you read the caveats under Table 10.2.1 in http://doc.freenas.org/11/sharing.html#unix-nfs-shares?

I did eventually, yes, but I was still in utter disbelief because this is not a limitation of any version of nfsd that I am aware of. Nor have I ever seen a NAS product that has this limitation, and I have worked with a large number of commercial NAS solutions.

It's moot now because I have wiped FreeNAS and gone back to ZFS on Linux. I now see why we pay the steep sticker price for NetApp/EMC systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.