Nextcloud will not deploy since latest Scale update 23.10.0.1

ote

Cadet
I have been very frustrated lately since the latest Scale 23.10.0.1 update. I had Nextcloud (Truenas nor Truecharts) running just fine for the last 3 months and even into the latest Truenas 23.10.0 update. I have two separate premise locations running Truenas Scale with Nextcloud (Truenas editions) running, Church and Home. The Church location has been updated with the latest 23.10.0.1 update and Nextcloud is still running ok. Both Nextcloud installs are limited to local use only and not served outside their local networks. The events that led up to my issue here on this server (Home) was that I wanted to try Collabora/OpenOffice. I was able to log into Nextcloud and began installing Nextcloud Office app. It was at that point Nextcloud froze for reasons still unknown. I could not break from it. I re-started Nextcloud app and that is when it would not re-deploy. Re-started Truenas and still same problem. My only guess was a corrupt file. Not knowing exactly where to look for or even what to look for a possible corruption, I decided to just remove Nextcloud and re-install and along with removing the old Nextcloud datasets for config and data, creat new and start over. Even with new datasets, Nextcloud is now stuck on deploying. During app deployment, both datasets, config and data, both show files have been added, but still no deployment. Any suggestions at this point?

ote

Cadet
Update: I gave another try and Nextcloud finally deployed. Still unknown what file was corrupted, but the app is up and running again. After properly deleting and creating new datasets (deleting old config files in each) the app is running once again. Thanks for your views and this thread can be resolved.

Same issue... everything wrong since Collabora addon was installed. Starting to hate this errors totally missinformed and no support at all to solve.
Tried stop, restart the server and start again....nothing
Tried disable addons...nothing.
Tried unpdate (doesn't want to update)
The worst: No report about what's going on!
a.JPG

TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1

ote

Cadet
I don't think I will be trying Collabora anytime soon again, but my Nextcloud is back and I am leaving it as is. Before the latest major update, I was not able to get Truenas chart release or Truecharts release of Collabora to install as it would be stuck on deploying. However, after the 23.10 update, Collabora did install perfectly. At that point is when I ran into my Nextcloud issue. Not sure what underlying issues I may have on my server up to this point.

The only other issue I have had, possibly regarding the 23.10 update, was Adguard just quit working. I have a TN replication server with 23.10 update running Adguard (the only app installed) without issue.

Please someone reading this thread correct me if I am giving the wrong suggestion, but the best thing I could recommend for you would be to create a couple of temporyary datasets for your Data and Config files, point to those datasets in Nextcloud to see if it deploys. If it does, it would seem that one or more config files have been corrupted.

Kelp07

Dabbler
Hello and thank you for posting this. I'm having the same issue with Nextcloud, but with a few differences. One is I don't have Collabora installed.

Also, I had the User Data mounted as a host path, so I could have the app running on my SSD pool and the user data saved on a different pool with HDDs. When I installed Nextcloud with the user data set to PVC, it works. I changed it to the host path as before, and now it's stuck on deploying again. Any ideas what the problem might be?

I think next I'm going to try creating a new dataset to mount for the user data and see if that works. If so, I can just move my data to the new dataset.

ote

Cadet
Hello and thank you for posting this. I'm having the same issue with Nextcloud, but with a few differences. One is I don't have Collabora installed.

Also, I had the User Data mounted as a host path, so I could have the app running on my SSD pool and the user data saved on a different pool with HDDs. When I installed Nextcloud with the user data set to PVC, it works. I changed it to the host path as before, and now it's stuck on deploying again. Any ideas what the problem might be?

I think next I'm going to try creating a new dataset to mount for the user data and see if that works. If so, I can just move my data to the new dataset.

Not knowing how you originally set it up in your prior working state, and this may be redundant, but make sure the new "Data" dataset is created as Share Type: Apps. In permissions, select www-data for both "Owner" and Owner Group" and check both boxes for "Apply to owner" and "Apply to owner groups" as well as "Recursive permission". Without these settings, it will not deploy.

ote

Cadet

Sorry, I overlooked that last part. I know there is a way that you can do that, but I do not know how to do it properly. I am sure someone with a lot more experience here can answer that question. Unless you do not have a lot of data stored in your old dataset, creating a new dataset as I outlined above should get you going with minimal time and effort then re-sync all your data, otherwise you may be in for the long haul re-syncing. In my case I did not have too much data to worry about so I just created new datasets and re-synced. Hope this helps.

Bingo! Finally i think IT Was the same error like you.
App installed on a SSD pool and DATA-pool in another zraid pool.
But I sincerily dont remember the set up of those.

Kelp07

Dabbler
Not knowing how you originally set it up in your prior working state, and this may be redundant, but make sure the new "Data" dataset is created as Share Type: Apps. In permissions, select www-data for both "Owner" and Owner Group" and check both boxes for "Apply to owner" and "Apply to owner groups" as well as "Recursive permission". Without these settings, it will not deploy.
I had it set up the same way before, with the user data on a separate pool, but I don't remember how I set up permissions on it. I'll check it when I get a chance to work on it again. Will it work if I edit the permission settings or does it have to be that way from the beginning?

Hopefully I can get it back working on the original dataset, but I can sync to a new one if necessary. It's a lot of data, mostly photos, but all backed up to other places as well.

Hello all,
Starting from zero...again.
For the future users who are lost in the DATASET initial creation, here is perfectly explained.
(very important to remember choosing APP datatype, otherwise you must restart all the process).
:cool: