New User Ranks Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsoteros

iSCSI Enjoyer
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello everyone!

Today we're introducing some new ranks for everyone to achieve!

The new ranks are directly associated with the number of "messages" or comments/posts that you make.

Cadet - The starting rank, or 0 Messages
Dabbler - 10 Messages
Explorer - 50 Messages
Contributor - 100 Messages
Patron - 200 Messages
Guru - 500 Messages
Wizard - 1,250 Messages
MVP - 2,500 Messages
Hall of Famer -5,000 Messages

We are really excited to roll these changes out and we'd love to hear what the community thinks!

-Will

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
Cool.

Is the old 'statistics' page somewhere hidden where you could basically sort users by amount of posts/likes etc?

danb35

Hall of Famer
We are really excited to roll these changes out
Um, why? What is exciting about changing the names and post count thresholds for the various user "ranks"/titles/whatever?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Personally I would rather see Celebrity as MVP if we're going down the sporting equivalence with Hall of Fame as the ultimate.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

wsoteros

iSCSI Enjoyer
Administrator
iXsystems
Um, why? What is exciting about changing the names and post count thresholds for the various user "ranks"/titles/whatever?
For many of us that spend lots of time here, it is nice to see something different.

The old titles have been around for years, it is exciting to bring some new life to the system.

joeschmuck

Old Man
For many of us that spend lots of time here, it is nice to see something different.

The old titles have been around for years, it is exciting to bring some new life to the system.
What's wrong with old? I'm old as dirt, rode the ship with Columbus to the new country, crossed the country from East to West during the Gold Rush, watched the first atomic bomb used in war. My kids say I'm old as dirt (that is old), hence my title of "Old Man".

Kidding, the new names are nice, it seems like a Millennial thing. So long as the message count remains, to me that is the more important part as it tells the forum users who has been responding more, it doesn't indicate it they post good or bad stuff, just the person is active in the forum.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
For many of us that spend lots of time here
::: Looks at @wsoteros' join date :::
::: Looks at my own and @joeschmuck's :::

Eh, OK, I guess...

Really, the user ranks aren't something I pay a lot of attention to. I'd noticed the other day that mine had changed, and nbd. But since they're (to me) such a minor thing, the idea that anyone would be excited about changing them is just baffling to me. If it is, hey, you do you. But fake excitement (which is what it sounded like to me) doesn't do much for me.

Etorix

Wizard
Personally I would rather see Celebrity as MVP if we're going down the sporting equivalence with Hall of Fame as the ultimate.
As in "Market Value Product", "Mitral Valve Prolapse", "Mainboard with Virtual Processor", "Motion Vector Prediction" or yet something else? :tongue:

Not everyone is familiar with "fancy" acronyms…

Dice

Wizard
So long as the message count remains, to me that is the more important part as it tells the forum users who has been responding more, it doesn't indicate it they post good or bad stuff, just the person is active in the forum.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I've been involved in various for about 22 years at this point, which probably tainted my opinion towards the old school style.

Additional 'gameifications' should be managed with extreme caution if I was to be asked.
Things like 'Trophy points' and 'Reaction Score' are already a shame in that regard.
A lot of the 'hall of famed' users (in the general sense of the word - not this new message counter badge whatever thingie) put in the work before these added features were around or were a thing. Now they don't shine due to new metrics?

This is inherently why the registration date and message count are what I feel is most important.

"Alexa. Write a new post every 5 minutes on the TrueNAS forums."

HALL OF FAMER, HERE I COME!

:cool:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm seeing ads on Facebook for "use an AI to write your blog posts." I can think of a few people here where that would likely result in more informative and coherent messages...

LOL, just a few more posts and I'll move up to the next rank.

Since we're on the subject of user profiles... That profile picture of @danb35 has intrigued me for years now.
What on earth is that thing?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Ha! Mystery solved, and something to add to my watch list. :grin:

danb35

Hall of Famer
It was a good series--pretty innovative in its day for the use of CGI with the Video Toaster, and also for its story arc, which was kind of a new thing in 1997 when it premiered.

Dice

Wizard
That profile picture of @danb35 has intrigued me for years now.
I've somehow compartmentalized it to some species of a RAM and ...potatoes, and just left it as is. One can impossibly try to understand everything online :P
Hilarious coincidence - today was the first time I clicked on it ever and attempted to make sense out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.