New User- Q on RAID array, setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

Cadet
hello, quite excited about getting into FreeNAS. i would like to re-purpose some old Server hardware as testing NFS storage for Vsphere. pretty typical scenario i think for a lot of people.
so after some problems getting FNAS installed on the machine i finally have it running. the storage on this old Xeon Server is a hardware RAID 5 chassis already installed. i have FNAS installed on a independent SATA drive that i stole from another older computer.
the RAID array shows during the POST BIOS info that the array is optimal, etc. the boot disk shows as separated from the array which is what i want. when i'm in FNAS what options should i go with when building out the Volume? all three drives show as separate disks and not as an array. should i reconfigure the array at the hardware level to another type? just have 3 disks in there.
any thoughts on this would be great to hear.

EDIT: the RAID is an Intel ESB2 solution that i believe is integrated on this Motherboard.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should consult the manual. Hardware RAIDs should not be used for FreeNAS. This is explained in the manual thoroughly.

Jay

Cadet
thanks Mav... makes sense, i am just about to get into it.

i've been looking for it specifically and can't find any mention of "hardware" RAID. of course it is extensive in every other aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.