* wow, new design
* oh crap UX :(
* sooo many "details"

just a quick example the screenshot:

waitin_for_godot.PNG

* What am I waiting for ... exactly?
* What is the system doing?
* What is the progress on it?
* What is the purpose of "Previous" and "Next" buttons? Haven't tried it, got scared.
* What is the jail_zfs_dataset for example? Why you didn't do a label, with a nice (i) tooltip explaining the functionality
* Why there is no padding, nor any UX hint that you can actually overwrite that jail_zfs_dataset etc
* What's the point of the icon in jails, which when you hover over just to get the simple PLUS button to add a jail? REALLY?

It's just one screen I was going over and I was in shock. There's no logic and seems like the designers are pure devs without any sense of UI design nor UX - that's BAD. If you are making something new, please make it properly :(

PS: While I was writing this, I'm still in "please wait" state ... no idea what for

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you using 11.1? The new GUI is horribly broken there, all the work is taking place in the nightlies.

Archaniel

Explorer
yeh, am on stable branch as my only freenas is a "production" one... I really doubt though that my points will be polished. For that I guess the UI development has progressed too far :/
Question is: is there any "suggestions" forum or somewhere where the aforementioned points could be discussed? Or is the development open for community aswell?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Archaniel

Explorer
thanks for the link, gonna write my ranting with ideas there :)
Btw: is there any particular reason why not ship the beta-gui part in each stable iteration with at-that-time nightly gui?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, the nightlies branch is significantly different and the GUI relies heavily on the middleware, which is being developed in tandem with it. It's not just a matter of throwing in a few isolated changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.