New to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Cadet
Hi

I am about to build my first FreeNAS server, current stable release being 9.1. The hardware I plan to use is an HP Proliant ML110 G4 server with 4GB of RAM and 4 x 1TB hard drives which hopefully I can run as RAID 5. I plan to run the server from a USB drive. I know the specifications say I need 8GB of RAM but I would like to experiment with my existing hardware before committing to buying new RAM as it's quite expensive for this machine being UDIMM. Can anybody tell me if this will run on just 4GB of RAM please? Also any feedback on booting from USB will be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can anybody tell me if this will run on just 4GB of RAM please?
No, they're called "minimum requirements" not "suggestions for a super cool FreeNAS server" for a reason.
HP Proliant ML110 G4
That thing is going to be painfully slow, like anything older than Nehalem.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Feel free to try it on less than the optimal amount of memory if you are just testing things out, but don't be surprised if things don't work correctly. It can cause a number of strange results. If you're going to be using FreeNAS for any real production or data storage purposes we highly recommend that you make sure to use the recommended amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.