BUILD New FreeNAS User Build Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thelland

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I've been looking at building a NAS box for several months now but things like a new house or the idea of home automation have prevented me from putting in the time I would have liked to.

My primary purpose for building this box is:

• Data storage(Old photos,documents,tax forms,etc..)
  • Emby(Plex Alternative) Streaming box(no more than 1-2 720-1080 streams at a time)
  • Potentially a OpenHAB/HomeSeer HomeAutomation server
  • Maybe start creating and storing time machine backups.
I have done some research throughout these forums and other and have picked the following hardware. I'm just not sure if its overkill for what i'm looking to do. I don't have an overwelming amount of files and I'm currently using about 1-3 TB across 2 drives in my desktop.

MotherBoard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1231V3
Case: Fractal Define R4
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3L
PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W 80 Plus Gold
Harddrives: 4x WD Red 5400 RPM
FreeNAS Drive: 2x SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB Flash Drive

Thanks for any advice you guys may have!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Those are good hardware choices. The CPU is probably more than is needed for your use case; an i3 would likely be fine and save you $100 or so. The motherboard is likewise overkill unless you expect to use more than 6 drives in the foreseeable future. Consider a small SSD or SATA DOM for a boot device, as they tend to be much more reliable than USB drives.

Thelland

Cadet
Thank you for the feedback. I'll look at some mobo alternatives, although I don't mind spending a couple extra dollars up front for a more futureproof system.

I've read that many people mirror their boot drives when using the USB, would you recommend something similar for a sata dom/ssd?

Thanks again.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Mirroring is generally seen as unnecessary with the DOM/SSD. My previous server had two DOMs mirrored; my current one has a single SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.