New controller for R710 NAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHIT93

Cadet
Hi
So I recently bought a Dell R710 server to replace my old AMD FX based FreeNAS build.
Everything installed fine and the Perc6 controller seemed to be running in IR-mode and drives not assigned to a RAID were just passed to the OS. However when I went to transfer my drives from the old system, I noticed an issue with one of my pools. It was exported from the old system, but I could not import it on the new system.
Some digging around showed me that the drives were only seen as 2TB drives. Digging into the Perc6 specification, I found that the LSI SAS1068 is unable to handle drives bigger than 2TB. Since my drives are 3TB, this will not work.

So I am on the look for a new HBA, preferably a Dell HBA like the H310.
What I am in need of information on is if someone can recommend me a controller capable of handling larger drives. I would however like to have a future proof solution where I could add fx. 6x10TB drives.

Could someone suggest me a HBA that will be able to handle my current requirement for the two 3TB drives and still be future proof to handle 10TB drives.

NickF

Guru
H200 or H310 flashed to IT will work.
This is the exact setup I personally have running.
The only caveat with using a Dell R710 for FreeNAS is that you need a controller in IT mode. However, a crossflashed H200 or H310 will NOT work in the HBA slot on the server, because Dell, so you will have to use up one of the other 4 PCIE slots on the riser cards.

Again I have this exact setup.

sakarine

Cadet
I replaced the Perc6 integrated with H700 integrated. If you go that route, you have to get new mini-sas to sas cables. Got all for about 80 bucks on ebay. Works like a champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.